The mkiv Supra Owners Club

If you wanted a supra with modifications, what would you do?

Pabs

Which option would you take?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Which option would you take?

• Buy a standard Supra, and Modify myself - just the way I want it
    • Buy a modified supra - change a few bits if required

Following on from this thread:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=80248

I read it with great interest, and thought I'd put up a poll to see what the general thoughts are across the board.

I'm researching into getting a supra in the not-too-distant future, and I know I'll want to modify the car when I get it - both in looks and performance areas. Ideally I'd like to get it to a decent single turbo spec eventually. (circa 500bhp I think, it needs to be drivable on UK roads, and nothing too silly)

Now, as the thread above mentions, there is 2 main paths one could take.

If I bought a standard (or semi-standard) Supra, I could do everything the way I wanted, fit only the parts I wanted, and make it the ideal car for me. However, I feel this is the more expensive route, as a lot of money is required to get a TT to single turbo, with all recommended upgradges etc.

If I bought a modified Supra, it means a greater initial outlay, but it would be cheaper to get it the way I wanted. I could sell any bits I wanted to change. I'd have thought there was less fun in this option, as I'd not do the work myself, but then I wouldnt hav the hassle of modifying and paying new prices for the parts. Also the worry of knowing if its been looked after or "ragged" around, as is the common opinion of modified cars.

So, what'd you do? I was planning on 10k outlay for my TT, but if people think its better to get a pre-modified one, then I'll save up to 13-14k to get a modifed unit.

Sorry for such a long post - just trying to get everything covered.

Vote away peeps - and post additional thoughts below!

Stock, all the way.

The modified example would have to be seriously cheaper if it were to tempt me.

Any jackass can try and 'rebuild' an engine, but who is going to pay for the damages when it grenades? At least with a stock example you know what you've got inside and go to mr T for replacement bits.

You also know that it's been assembled at the factory, not someone's shed with his right arm acting as a torque wrench and his cat's hair all over the main bearings.

Yeah but stock cars aren't always looked after by enthusiasts, whereas a lot of modded cars are.

Take my first Supra, I bought it off of these forums. An absolute blinder of a car. It was reasonably modified, BPU with FMIC etc.

Sold it to a member and it's still running strong, did the Dragonball last year etc.

Stockers can be shitters too, you just have to be careful and choose with your head - stock or modified.

But if you said I could choose a good condition stock car or good condition modified car, I'd go modded everytime.

Totally depends what you want your ultimate goals are.

If you're going extreme then it can work out more economical to buy one with all the bits and then recon a lot for piece of mind.

Or - buy one that you trust and know the history from someone on here.

I'd always thought stock and build, but just recently I'm not so sure when you see cars like the Trial one muffleman got.

Guest Terry S

It really depends on the particular car, whats on it, and who modified it IMHO. You can definitely save a lot of money buying a built one, but make sure its been done properly.

If you know the car, an you know its a good one, then modded would be cheaper, but then like others have already said, doing it yourself from stock is fun, an you know exactly what parts have been used. The choice is yours buddy, good luck either way. :)

wow - excellent responses guys! thanks for the input so far!

Basically I think I'll have 3 possible choices, each with their own merits:

1 - Import from Jurgen - either Stock or Modified

2 - Buy from these forums - can also find out about owner, and how car has been looked after

3 - Buy from autotrader - stock or modified - but risk the history all together.

TBH, buying from the forums would be the best option, IMO, if I was to buy a pre-modified car. I could find out all i need to know. If I buy stock, then I'd probably go for import through Jurgen, i can imagine its fun importing, although the wait would kill me!

I purchased my current car as bog-standard, and I've modifed it to hell and back (lol) - its been a huge learning curve, but just recently I've found that I'm getting a lot of problems. Now, I can't figure out why - I'm paying for top-quality parts and getting things done professionally - but its annoying me so much that I just want rid of the car altogether. And totalling up how much i've spent in mods, I recon i've paid 11k for the car, and about 6k for mods on top! When I come to sell, I'll be lucky to get 8k with everything!

But I know the fun is modifying, and even if I purchased as modified, I'd change a lot i think - probably bodykit, colour, and interior, wheels etc etc.

I think my plan is to make a top-notch road car. It has to be comfortable to drive in, and it has to look good at the same time. (the main reason i love the supe) But it won't be a daily driver, it'll be a weekend car.

Its just so damn hard to make up my mind. :(

oh, and another angle to take into consideration:

I'm 25, and never had a RWD car. Would going straight for a modified, higher powered supra be wise? Or should I get used to a standard TT first, and then up the power as and when I'm ready? This would also mean insurance is cheaper to start with - although I will have 7yrs NCB next year...

I had always thought I'd buy a newer facelift supe in as standard spec as possible and modify myself. It would just be throwing more money away though IMO.

Once the current loan is paid I'll be looking for an already modified one, something a bit special, yet budgeting for the possibility that there'll still be a lot needed on mapping etc.

oh, and another angle to take into consideration:

I'm 25, and never had a RWD car. Would going straight for a modified, higher powered supra be wise? Or should I get used to a standard TT first, and then up the power as and when I'm ready?

Get used to a stock one first. Using sups for fun on public roads requires an attitude adjustment from anyone coming from normal cars, and the first mod should be bigger brakes.

I nailed my first one and I consider it a wake up call - I'm guessing everyone on here has had one unless they are very experienced - part of the magic of these things is that they need absolute concentration and involvement from setup to driving. Even my stocker gets my heart going when I haven't driven her for a while.

Buy modded all the way for me.

Just going BPU can cost you £800+. I bought mostly second hand parts and did all the work myself and it still cost me about £600.

I'd save and wait for a nice single off a member on here. Like the one Burt is thinking of selling: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=80331

Or the one supradibbs sold recently which was one of the nicest Sup's I've seen on here: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=70626&highlight=single

You'll definitely save ££££'s in the long run

Buy a ready modded one with the proviso the owner takes it on a track day with you as passenger, and drives it hard and fair all day. If it's still running with no issues at the end of the day you buy it, if not you pay the entry fee and petrol. That way the worst you can lose is a couple of hundred quid or so. I see dozens of modded cars that wouldn't do 3 laps of Donington without blowing up, melting down, the turbo falling off or just plain expiring through iffy buld quality. I also see a few that would shrug a dozen track days in a row off. They are the ones to buy.