The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Who has hybrid turbos?

MrAngry

I am fearing the worst at the moment. I am getting absolutely no boost and cant see any pipes off or split. So if it's not an actuator problem and the stock turbos are dead then I think I will go along the hybrid route. How much did your hybrids cost if you have them? I'm not interested in going single and I reckon that it would be better to invest in hybrids rather than replacing the stock ones.

Hybrid owners your thoughts please!

I just hope it's something less catastrophic than dead turbos. We will see.

aren't blow turbo's normally accompanied by a plume of smoke or the rattle of the ceramic bits hitting the 1st/2nd cat?

As from memory yours isn't decatted its less likely that they have shattered i'd have thought.

Could it not be the ic hose thats hidden under the inner wing /front bumper area?

Don't you normally see some (even if very low) boost with shattered turbo's.

Have you got someone to rev it with you outside, to listen for a major induction leak?

I have hybrids mate. Stage 3 ones were fitted in May 2006 at the cost of £1,500 including setup etc. I don't know what stock turbos feel like as got the car 5 weeks ago with them on, but they run beautifully, pull really well with quick spool on number 2.

I think they're a worthy investment until you can really afford to go single properly, i.e. £3k and over for a decent setup. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I dropped the car off today at Turbofit. It is as suspected a leak from one of the intercooler pipes. But I am still going the hybrid route the car is staying with Greg and Sam until next week so they can fit them for me.

I missing the car already and its only been 10 hours since I left it. Can't wait for next week to arrive :)

Lag on first turbo is not brill but power when 2nd comes online is high!

I would test drive a single before making a judgement personally.

How much laggier is the first turbine? TurboTechnics use DBB hybrids according to an email they sent me about hybridising a spare pair of tubbies in my garage... I'm sure that must help (assuming stock uses 270deg thrust bearings).

Lag on first turbo is not brill but power when 2nd comes online is high!

I would test drive a single before making a judgement personally.

I too have stg3 envy hybrids and cams recently fitted and fuelling setup. I like what I feel so far :D As Justin suggested, best to have a test drive of both hybrid and single, then decide.

Rgds,

I have AET hybrids(at 1.3) with a GReddy 3 core intercooler ,auto and oil coolers,Walbro fuel pump,Apexi Super intake,HKS fcd,HKS cooler plugs,full de-cat,Apexi N1 Evo exhaust,GReddy boost controller and RLTC.Other bits are UK brakes,Bilstein shocks with Tein springs,carbon slam panel and plug cover,TRD carbon spoiler,TRD strut brace,Whifbitz front end,refurbished facelift lights,clear front and side indicators and a black leather interior.Still want bigger injectors and something to manage the fuelling(will cams make much of a difference?).At the moment though it is going a cracker.Very fast,very pleased(120 leps without trying).....until i hear that distant plaintive echoing cry of...'single...single..'Get thee behind me!(for now)

• 3 weeks later...

Im in the process of trying to make my mind up whether i go hybrid, fit new o/e turbo's or do i splash out and go single !!

Not after more power just want my car to run as sweetly as she does now, im rebuilding the head as ive leeky stem seals and thought seeing as my cars done 115000 miles i'll sort the turbo's out at the same time before they let go.

Has anyone had hybrids fitted for some time and got some decent mileage on them ? Its how long they'll last im more concerned about.

few running them for 15/20K now

If well made they should be even better than UK turbos!

Thanks for that info, i guess we wont know till someone actually does that kind of mileage on them where the o/e uk tubbies have proven track record.

For my intentions i dont think its worth the saving i'll make.

Time to sell and buy an na aerotop perhaps:d

Has anyone had hybrids fitted for some time and got some decent mileage on them ? Its how long they'll last im more concerned about.

Mine were on the car before 18k miles (when I bought it) and came off at about 50k miles for a single turbo, and looked like the attached pic.

They are now happily sat on someone else's Supra :)

-Ian

23_turbo2.jpg