The mkiv Supra Owners Club

2000 bhp supra suspension

boombastictiger

Hi

I have a 2000bhp rw supra.........Ok i dont...but i do have a quick question about suspension

My car is lowered and has aftermarket suspension, making it handle and remain flat throught corners very well and stable...At the same time this handling comes at a price which are the lovely holes in the british roads which shivver through my spin....Not that its a problem, but........will having stiffer suspesion and a bumpy ride damage my car chassis or decrease the life of the suspension....

Might be a stupid and stright forward questions but I thought id ask to be on the safe side...

Not likey to cause damage as such, but stiffer suspension will wear out bushes, joints and wheel bearings quicker.

Ok thats worrying me now,,,would you be kind enough to explain what each those parts are, what they do, and how I can tell if they are comming towards the end of thier life...

PS, the 2000BHP thing was a attention thing hehe,,, sorry i didnt meant to tease anyone...

:cool: :innocent:

Ok thats worrying me now,,,would you be kind enough to explain what each those parts are, what they do, and how I can tell if they are comming towards the end of thier life...

There are a lot of components that make up the suspension, you would really need to get the car on a lift and thoroughly check each joint for play. If you do have any worn joints/bushes then the handling of the car will start to feel a bit sloppy and vague.

All joints and bushes will perish and wear over time, stiffer suspension will just speed this up. This is becoming quite a popular problem with the Supra now, as most are getting on in years and mileage.

I completely overhauled my front and rear suspension a couple of years ago with brand new OEM parts, not a cheap job, but it made a MASSIVE difference to the handling and ride of the car, everything felt so much tighter and more precise.

BTW I'm planning to organise a group buy for replacement suspension components next week in my trader section (IMPORT PIMP)

Here are EPC images and pics showing the front and rear suspension components.

Front

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/9947/frontsuspensionnr1.png

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/3710/frontsusphotoow5.jpg

Rear

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/4540/rearsuspensionepcyh0.jpg

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/4807/rearsuspensionpe2.jpg

Thanks mAn, I really appreciate that...

When I got my car last year it already had uprated suspension, I got the car serviced and the mechanic told me that it was better suspension over all , its adjustable suspension aswell, Would the bushes , and wheel bearings hae been changed as well do you think, or is that something i would have to put it on a ramp to see?

Thanks mAn, I really appreciate that...

When I got my car last year it already had uprated suspension, I got the car serviced and the mechanic told me that it was better suspension over all , its adjustable suspension aswell, Would the bushes , and wheel bearings hae been changed as well do you think, or is that something i would have to put it on a ramp to see?

Do you know what brand/model of suspension you have fitted? Any pics if not?

I would think most Supras will still driving around on their original suspension components.

We seem to be seeing quite a few thread though now, about replacing suspension arms, bushes, etc and I have supplied quite a few sets in the last year, so it seems that a lot of cars are starting to come to the age where things are starting to wear out.

Only real way to tell the condition of yours would be to get it checked over by someone who knows the Supra.

I'd answer but the 2000bhp bit annoyed me

Really, give him a break, the guy's only asking questions and has done nothing wrong. Some of you guys can be very out of hand when somebody out of your 'clicky group' says something.

Any of the in crowd had made a post like that and it would be laughs all round. Chill out! :D