The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Too much oil...?

nismo_lp

Hi mate. I'm guessing the worst that could happen is that you blow a seal, I'd either drain some out, or take it easy till some of the oil has gone. Someone will probably be along with a more technical answer in a mo. Off subject, but hows the car doing mate, you got the paintwork sorted out ?.

Nismo you'd rather be just above the minimum mark than 1cm over, if you really want to drive it then i suggest you drain some of it out, ideally you want the oil to be around 3/4 on the dip stick (this way you dont over fill as your not trying to reach max). As said above you can pop a seal if you continue to drive the car and your chances will almost certainly shoot up if you drive on boost.

Hi mate. I'm guessing the worst that could happen is that you blow a seal, I'd either drain some out, or take it easy till some of the oil has gone. Someone will probably be along with a more technical answer in a mo. Off subject, but hows the car doing mate, you got the paintwork sorted out ?.

The tires have been changed (eagle F1s all round) and the cars due to go into the paint shop the tuesday coming. They predict its gona take them a month to get the job done. Havent driven the car since its it was battered... was gona take it for run 2day ... but fuked the oil up ... VERY ANNOYING!

Good new is .. il be putting a do-luck front on it :) and think the vailside spoiler is gona be replaced the a stand one ... or possibly a trd.

I now run my car with the oil level only half way between the two marks, as i firmly believe that running it at the full mark was a contributing factor in my FMS going.

Edited to say that, most engines are designed to cope with being run at the full mark or even slightly over, but i would defiantly not include the 2JZ GTE motor as being one of them.

Extract from here http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

Note that this section only applies to wet sump engines - the type found in most consumer vehicles. For more info on sump types, see Wet sumps vs. dry sumps below.

To a lot of people, this little section could be categorised by the rearranging the words "granny eggs teaching suck your to". But you'd be surprised by the number of people that don't know how to do even this basic task. When checking the level of oil in the engine, the car should be on a level plane, and should be relatively cold. I've run into several people lately who insist in keeping the crankcase topped off completely, and they invariably check the dipstick just after shutting down the engine. Reading the oil in this way results in an erroneous reading because a quantity of oil (usually about half a litre) is still confined in the oilways and passages (galleries) of the engine, and takes some time to drain back into the crankcase. (On the image, the blue areas are where oil is likely to still be running back down to the sump). On seeing what appears to be an abnormally low level on the dipstick, these people then add more oil to the oil filler at the top of the engine. The oilways and passages all empty, and suddenly the engine becomes over-filled with oil, going way above the 'MAX' mark on the dipstick. The problem with this is that the next time the engine is run, the windage in the crankcase and other pressures generated by the oil pump, etc. place a great strain on the seal on the rear main bearing.

Eventually, often much sooner than the ordinary man in the street might expect, the rear main bearing seal ruptures, and the engine becomes a 'leaker'. If you've got a manual gearbox, this means one thing: this oil goes right onto the flywheel and the face of the clutch disc. A lubricated clutch is A Bad Thing.

If this still goes unnoticed, the front seal is the next to go, and the engine then becomes a 'gusher'. As well as smothering the clutch with oil from the rear, the oil now coming from the front leak will be neatly distributed about the engine bay as it hits the front pulley - often propelling it out as far as the brake discs. It's sort of like a Hollywood disaster movie in the making, yet people don't consider this.

The tires have been changed (eagle F1s all round) and the cars due to go into the paint shop the tuesday coming. They predict its gona take them a month to get the job done. Havent driven the car since its it was battered... was gona take it for run 2day ... but fuked the oil up ... VERY ANNOYING!

Good new is .. il be putting a do-luck front on it :) and think the vailside spoiler is gona be replaced the a stand one ... or possibly a trd.

Nice one, glad your getting it sorted out buddy. Good choice on the front an back. :)