The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is there a noise limit for an MOT?

Matt Harwood

I've not heard of that either, I guess it depends on what the blokes like who does the testing. Surely the tester could of tweaked the headlights, thats whats happened with my cars in the past.

Yeah it's a pissy thing to fail it on, like a lot of garages would fail you if you had an indicator bulb gone. My dad would just replace the bulb, it's only a few pence and seconds to do, plus you can pretty much garauntee they'll come back again next year.

As per Thorin's response, there's no defined noise limit for exhausts, but the link below explains why the tester has failed the vehicle.

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_710.htm

2B is exacly what is printed in the failure sheet :(

b. a silencer in such condition, or of such a type, that the noise emitted from the vehicle is clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar vehicle with a silencer in average condition.

They did say they would normall have adjusted the headlight aim, but seeing as it failed anyway, they didn't!

Doubt I'll be using them again :rolleyes:

As per Thorin's response, there's no defined noise limit for exhausts, but the link below explains why the tester has failed the vehicle.

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_710.htm

I think there is an actual dB level the police can nick you for 110dB i think, this can be done in a roadside check if you get pulled into one of those emission check things

But the big Motorbikes are really loud so a Supe should cause a problem, and no doubt the tester had it on a ramp inside a garage??

Tel him he's taking crap... if no joy go to another garage

Lets hope these new cameras from Aussie don't arrive here, not only will they nick you for speed but also noise ( exhaust/ stereos etc) another way of hitting the motorists pocket

There is no legal limit as such for cars, only for bikes. It's down to judgement, as the law says something about being unsociably loud. It would be up to the court to decide if it ever made it that far. There are lots of things that are required for SVA but not legal requirements afterwards, like the switches being rounded with no sharp edges etc etc.