The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Respray/touch up advise

jackso11

Right, my car is black which I gether is a hard colour to match, and I have a few marks that I would like to get rid off. Now the question is do I have them touched out or go for a total respray?

I found a sprayshop that put an ad on ebay, and they said they would do my whole car for £900, in black, high quality 2 pack paint. Is this about the average price for a decent respray?

also, should I have windows out or left in?

thats cheap but doable I guess. I would be mindful of the attention to detail with a price like that. the money is in the prep and the finish... are they going to take the time to mask off properly, or flat and buff it properly when they have sprayed? How many coats? etc etc.

what should I be looking at for a good respray?

I am in lincolnshire....anyone know a good place near here? To be honest I would travel anywhere if I know it will be a top class job, train tickets are so cheap if you book in advance these days I could go anywhere and leave it for a few days before picking it up.

So do I take it you wouldn't just get the marks sprayed? it would be a whole car job?

Ah Lincolnshire, I lived there when I were a lad - lots of flat straight roads in the middle of nowhere ;) I must have got up to oooh baout 13mph on my Raleigh Chippy!

I dont know anyone round there who is any good. In London, GVN get rave reviews, but expect to pay. They quoted me 1200 for bonnet and wings. I know Chris Webleys paintjob was 4.5K (then again that was a little bit, um, special). The only thing is to find some place that is recommended by someone you trust. Alternativlely, find out who does the local car dealerships' work, as they often farm it out.

Ah Lincolnshire, I lived there when I were a lad - lots of flat straight roads in the middle of nowhere ;) I must have got up to oooh baout 13mph on my Raleigh Chippy!

I dont know anyone round there who is any good. In London, GVN get rave reviews, but expect to pay. They quoted me 1200 for bonnet and wings. I know Chris Webleys paintjob was 4.5K (then again that was a little bit, um, special). The only thing is to find some place that is recommended by someone you trust. Alternativlely, find out who does the local car dealerships' work, as they often farm it out.

£4.5k seems to be the going rate at GVN for 3 stage paints

The reason I want to get this done is the unthinkable happened yesterday. I was dynamating my doors on my driveway (gravel, shared with next door) and had the door panel off and door open. The post man parked on the drive and went next door. I was in my house when they left but I heard them wheel spin in the drive and a 'ding!' when I went out again there was a single stone inside my door that must have been fired at the INSIDE! of my door skin, making a kind of reverse trolly dent on my door, and the paint has cracked!! So this has made me want to get the lot sorted out.

The reason I want to get this done is the unthinkable happened yesterday. I was dynamating my doors on my driveway (gravel, shared with next door) and had the door panel off and door open. The post man parked on the drive and went next door. I was in my house when they left but I heard them wheel spin in the drive and a 'ding!' when I went out again there was a single stone inside my door that must have been fired at the INSIDE! of my door skin, making a kind of reverse trolly dent on my door, and the paint has cracked!! So this has made me want to get the lot sorted out.

For a small ding like that, i wouldn't even consider a respray. It'll probably cost no more than £80 to get that sorted

yeah thats what I am thinking. If it hadn't cracked the paint I would have left it, but I don't want rust to set in. Also (luckily) there is already another very small dent on the same panel that I want to get sorted so they will both get done at the same time.

What I want to get done:

* there is a scratch about 4" long that has been touched up by the previous owner (not very well) on the bit between the little side/back window and the boot,

* The last owner changed the badge on the back....and instead of using dental floss to remove the old one....he used a blade of somesort which must have scratched the paint and therefore they touched that up.

* The 2 dings on the passenger door.

So I thought I might aswell get the lot sprayed.....or would you still just get them touched up?

yeah thats what I am thinking. If it hadn't cracked the paint I would have left it, but I don't want rust to set in. Also (luckily) there is already another very small dent on the same panel that I want to get sorted so they will both get done at the same time.

What I want to get done:

* there is a scratch about 4" long that has been touched up by the previous owner (not very well) on the bit between the little side/back window and the boot,

* The last owner changed the badge on the back....and instead of using dental floss to remove the old one....he used a blade of somesort which must have scratched the paint and therefore they touched that up.

* The 2 dings on the passenger door.

So I thought I might aswell get the lot sprayed.....or would you still just get them touched up?

Get it touched up :)