The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My brother wants a Supra as well now :)

MrHanky

Hi,

Just been talking to my brother tonight and he is already thinking of getting rid of his S2000 (only had it a few months) so that he can get a Supra instead. The story goes something like this.

He says that he likes the S2000 and it is good fun to drive but he misses the speed and power from when he had his Skyline.

So he asked me a few questions which I could not honestly answer and would just like some opinions from qualified members.

Q1: How much power can you get out of the stock turbos assuming you BPU it etc?

Q2: If he wanted to have one running at around 500 BHP (not at the wheels) would he be looking at upgrading the turbo's and possibly some engine internals?

Q3: How reliable are these cars when running this sort of power?

He's just wondering about this as his Skyline cost him a fortune. He is assuming that they should be quite good as they don't have all the added complexity's of Skylines i.e. HICAS etc.

Thanks for any help people and sorry if these seem like dumb questions :)

Mark

Good work, more converts :)

1) A good Jspec should see 400bhp for basic bpu, 420bhp on a UK spec

2) 500bhp flywheel will only be possible with a small single (or small twin) turbo conversion. Its a major upgrade so would need £5k bare minimum if upgrading from stock.

3) Reliability really depends of the quality of the install and the setup. Most BPU cars will run a very long time without any issues (e.g. mine!), singles can be a lot more work (money). However the stock block/head is very strong so 550bhp+ will be fine provided the system has been installed and mapped properly.

• 1 month later...

Its funny how people seem to like the idea of owning a soop after spending a little time around them, a mate of mine has started thinking of selling his TVR to get one, after spending some time on the club stand with me at the modded show at Detling. Will be good if he an your brother convert. :)

Its funny how people seem to like the idea of owning a soop after spending a little time around them, a mate of mine has started thinking of selling his TVR to get one, after spending some time on the club stand with me at the modded show at Detling. Will be good if he an your brother convert. :)

Would that be because he couldn't be sure his car would make it to the show :) Or maybe it was at TVR being fixed :D

Would that be because he couldn't be sure his car would make it to the show :) Or maybe it was at TVR being fixed :D

Ha ha. In all fairness he's not had that much trouble with his, in fact out of the four people I know who have one, none of them have, (an two of them are always on track days). Just think he's had a good look around the soop's at the show, an realised how much can be done with them with regards to styling an power. He's always liked them, the shows just opened his eyes even more. I think this is the case with most people, they don't get to see one very often, an when they do, they realise how awesome they are, and how individual they can be. :)