The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Getting a Tracker - Is this any good?

Sheefa

Morning people,

Looking at getting a Tracker installed for sure. I came across this on ebay and it's the proven RAC one and quite cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-RAC-TRACKSTAR-VEHICLE-TRACKER-FITTING_W0QQitemZ200016972605QQihZ010QQcategoryZ75329QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Any ideas on it's reliability, or do you have any others in mind?

Thanks

Greg;)

Trackers are not as highly regarded as they used to be, my mate got one fitted and his insurance did not come down 1 penny but he pays the subscription, a few others that I know have had them fitted and the insurance company could not care less, trackers are about 4th in the list for anti theft IMHO a waste of money I would find out first how much your insurance compny will bring your premium down before buying, If it gets nicked even with a tracker its still ging to be classed as Stolen/Recovered

IMHO, having a Tracker isn't necessarily about insurance discounts. Sure a discount is nice, but that's not really what they're made for.

If my car gets stolen, I'd be lucky to get paid out £10k, yet it probably stands me in three times that. I have a Tracker fitted because I want to get my car back as soon as possible. Even if it is in bits. It would probably still be worth more than what the insurance would pay out.

ditto that - its about getting the vehicle back as the longer it is gone the more likely it will be stripped. Think of all the time and effort lost if you never get it back. The cops can find yoru car nice and quick once notified and often find a load of other stolen cars with the vehicle with the tracker fitted

Good point well made Matt. The RAC quote around a 20-ish minute vehicle location time so if the thieving fu*ks decide to take it for a motorway spin then they aint got much of a chance.

Will look into it still. Just weighing up the cost-benefits. My cars worth about 8k so do or should I get it? Hmmm

Good point well made Matt. The RAC quote around a 20-ish minute vehicle location time so if the thieving fu*ks decide to take it for a motorway spin then they aint got much of a chance.

Will look into it still. Just weighing up the cost-benefits. My cars worth about 8k so do or should I get it? Hmmm

Put it this way, if you went ouside now, and the car was missing, (think of the frustration, aggression and heartache), would you be happy to gamble £300-£350 to have an 95% chance of getting it back within the hour?

I had the pro-active navtrack fitted to my supe. Every time the car was entered or started or moved of its own accord ie towed without the sensor having being touched with the unique card (newest one just needs it to be in your pocket) it alerted navtrack headquarters and you get a call asking if you are in or moving your car. If not the police are informed of its exact location, direction its headed and at what speed its travelling.

I had to have my tracker fitted to the supra when i was with tesco.

There are two ways of looking at it really.

My fiancee had one fitted to the Audi TT and it reduced the premium by £6!!! So i canceled the yearly subs as i don't want a stolen Audi TT back. There like flys on shit, I can pick another one up tomorrow and wouldn't know the difference!

Whereas the tracker on the supra is activated, as i know that if it was stolen i couldn't go out with my £18k (agreed value) and build my car again.

Also, If it puts a thieving scumbag behind bars then its worth £500 of my money anyday!

Tracker, lets face it is not an anti theft device, so its highly unlikely that you'll get an insurance discount for having it installed. However it is excellent for helping in the recovery of your vehicle.

After all, I found Frank Lampards DB9 within 20mins of it being stolen. ;)

Tracker retrieve is not self monitoring, you have to call in to tell tracker your car has been stolen for them to track it. Crap if your on holiday for 2 weeks!

Tracker Monitor, like the title says, monitors the car. So, if its moved or started without the keys the tracker will activate itself. You will be called to check if your with the vehicle. If not. The police will start tracking your cars location.

Horizon works the same as monitor but the tracker center can pin point your cars exact location and forward this to the police.

The amount of times ive had them on the phone is unreal.

Dont crank your tunes unless you have the ignition on the second click :D

The vibration has activated my tracker quite a few times.

I do it on purpose periodically just to check its working now ;)

Also, set a passsword with them as all you get is "erm, your tracker has been activated, are you with your car" you say "yes" and thats it.

Great if the thief got away with your mobile too!

I complained about this, told them it was a stupid way of checking so they set me up a password