The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rubber coating...

jackso11

Right, the time has come to do my dash painting. I have the dash off anyway as I am messing about with my stereo at the moment. I know we have talked many times on here about how to get this rubber coating off, but as I am about to start I thought I would ask one more time to see if anyone has found the magical solution to this problem!

I will be checking back in a few mins to see what methods people have suggested....so, magic rubber removal solutions please!

Isopropyl Alcohol, apply it generously (so dont buy the spray stuff buy in liquid form) leave for say a minute or before it starts drying in and if you do it right and get the technique correct as in doign small areas at a time the whole dash should not take you more than an hour/hour and half tops

Incidently, i prefer using a spoon. I called it the spoon technique, works well and leaves the surface nice so you just lightly sand over it before primering.

Image016.jpg

Image018.jpg

Image020.jpg

Image021.jpg

Image019.jpg

using a spoon? how does that work - what do you do with it?

does the rubber get scared of the spoon and fall off? :D

I'm halfway through sanding my dash down, I found white spirit as shite

Lol no the spoon unfortunately doesent scare the rubber, but if you 'Scoop' it like youd 'scoop' ice cream, you can see a ball of rubber forming, and for around the edges use a plastic wallpaper scraper. tried white spirit but its shit. it isnt as hard as it seems with a Spoon though. Try it. The Spoon Technique ®

I dont know if it helps but i also used bleach and it seemed to work well for me.

But my top tip is to get some wet and dry paper from halfords or some where and using a fine grade sand between each coat, it realy helps to make the fish look factory.

its worked realy well on mine, to be honest i think my is the best i have seen, (i know i am modest) Rember lots of lacuer and sandinding between the layers.

the only thing i couldnot work out was how to get the dimmer switch out but every else was easy and carful masking works on the dimmer knob.

also i think i am the only one that has done the hand brake, i would recommend more people do it as it realy makes the car look good. but only the button and the base not the the middle handle bit.

FFS fellas i'me now going to lecture you all on Health and Safety if using neat bleach which is a very nasty chemical do it outside and get some proper gloves and probably eye protection to, and dont wear your best Armani suit or you'll ruin it, also use gloves with the alchohol its not quite as nasty but will take all the moisture/grease out your skin and leave them prone to cracking and possible infection, lecture over

Oh also check the pics for a visual of what im barking on about.

that first picture looks like you are showing the dash the spoon "fall off or I will kill you"

the second has the wierdest yellow spoon I've seen!!! ;)

Will give some of these suggestions a go at the weekend - who knows, I may even finish it after about 2 months of doing it off and on

• 8 years later...

YES this is an old thread revival but I thought it would be better than starting a new one.

For all the newer members attempting this, bleach is definitely the way forward. I tried methylated spirits, different adhesive removers etc, and bleach is by far the most effective.

Simply coat the surface with bleach (do it outside & use gloves), give it 5 minutes or so and use a washing up sponge/scouring pad and it just rubs off.

Depending on your overall aim you may want to also give it a light sand at this point too.

uploadfromtaptalk1434802163546.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1434802183039.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1434802194390.jpg

• 3 years later...

Pop them blisters. Might help with removal of the covering on panels as well lol. Also seen a vid on the net, looks like a gent from UK who did the bleach in his kitchen basin and also worked wonders. Would be sad to do it to new panels as I have one coin container and an auto panel that still looks new. The other three are krappy