The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Damaged Car by some tw*t keying it - Vote what to do

Sheefa

Shoudl I have my beauty resprayed after it being keyed?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Shoudl I have my beauty resprayed after it being keyed?

• Yeah go all out and do it for the full £1,400 on your credit card!
    • Just do the 4 panels, 2 front, a rear and bonnet for £700
    • Bugger that. I'd just get the bonnet and rear done and save up for later if needed. Only £400
    • I'd just do the bonnet and try to mop up the rear quarter - not as deep. Cheap!

Ok guys, you've seen my post. Only bought car 4 weeks ago for £8k and just paid £1k for the full service, new brakes etc.

So, the quote I have had is around £400 for the bonnet and rear quarter panel respray. Not happy obviously, but I feel it's a good quote for a decent job.

However, I do have quite a few small stone chips on the two front panels and a quote to respray them with a fellow trader here is £700 inc the keyed bonnet and rear.

A full car respray would cost £1,400 and this is very tempting too, even though the rest of the paintwork is in excellent condition, it might be worth looking at.:rolleyes:

What you guys thinking? This would have to go on my credily card and would take a good 8 months to pay off! :search:

i wouldnt have the full respray done just yet... how would you feel if you did and it got keyed again by the same person or for that matter, a different jelous c*ck??? You'd be in the same position, but no money to put it right this time and a £1400 credit card to pay off.

If it was me I would wait until next march/april and have a full respray. In the meantime I'd be looking for somewhere safer to keep it :)

I agree with the suggestion Pete made.

I am sorry i couldn't speak with you on Saturday, the concrete mixer lorry was here, he had me hyped up, as he said that the 2 cubic meters I had ordered was nothing like enough (it was plenty, there was enough left over to put 2 steel outside tap pillars in with as well..), and he was making noises like he wasn't going to want to hang about.

Hope all is OK, MOST of the rear quarter panel scratch will buff out, but I doubt all of it will. I always feel if you get a car TOO mint you either get frightened to use it properly, or sods law comes into play, and something silly happens, like you rub it against the gate post :)

Thanks, good luck with the paintwork.

As long as it's a good repair, i'd do as little as possible. Then MAX out the credit card on tuning goodies.

If the rest of the body work is good, then why waste money having it repainted. And i could definitely live with a few stone chips. Like CW said, you'll only worry about it if you get too mint.

Don't get the whole thing done if it doesn't need it, you would be broken hearted if anything happened to the new paintwork.

Are these prices normal for the UK? I spent ages going round all of the garages here in Jersey last summer and nearly everyone quoted me about £2,500 for a complete respray (incl new boot which I can get for about £400) with one garage even having the cheek to suggest £3,777 :rolleyes:

Thanks guys and especially thanks to Chris Wilson again.

I took the car to PL Carbodies in the West Midlands and they've got it for the week. They're a lotus and BMW prestige body repair company so doesn't come cheap but the job should be damn frikking good.

My mate had his BMW M5 taken there when he stashed it in the hedge wrecking about 4 panels after dodging a badger (the badger just sat there in the road looking at him after the incident too, would of love to have seen that smirking badgers face!).

The job was fantastic. He said it was like the whole car had been resprayed.

I'm having the bonnet fully resprayed, the rear mopped and blown, and the whole car mopped too with a dent man coming in to get about 6 pin dents out. Should be immaculate. Price was only £600, cash of course ;).

Pics to follow guys. Thanks again.

Excellent, it's mechanically so nice that it deserves the cosmetics sorting. I am glad you aren't having a full respray, it didn't need it, and to many people a full paint job looks suspicious, as they (often wrongly) supsect major accident damage. You should keep dated pics of the "before" condition to reassure suspicious punters later on, IMO.