The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MR2/secound car suggestions

DBR

tihs is probly the wrong place to post..... but here goes...

im after a second car to keep the mileage off the suup and to save on fuel and was thinking maybe the MR2, (suggestions welcome, something cheap to buy reliable, an cheapish to run.

whats the MR2 like on fuel consumption for the turbo or the NA.....

i nknow there are a few ex MR2 owners on here so hopefully youll point me in the right direction of which model to get:d

cheers peeps

MR2 turbo is a great little car, I had lots of fun in mine.:) fuel consumption was around 25mpg average, and around 30mpg on motorway trips.

The NA MR2 will be lighter on fuel, but i shouldn't think it'd be by much.

edit: if possible go for a revision 3 onwards, they came with slightly more power and a LSD. The revision 1 & 2 cars (mine was a revision 2) was very tail happy in the wet, which was fine by me:d

If your seriously looiking for a second car have you ever thought about a older diesel something less sporty, more MPG etc etc..

But i used to have a MR2 Turbo and i would say on fuel its the same as the Supra, But you can only get these on import so you be paying higher insurance.

The NA is still a good car fairly quick much better on fuel i would consider one of these over a turbo, can get a UK or Jspec ones, less to go wrong.

Overall the MR2 is a pretty solid car, all i did to mine was service it and the only real expense i had was buying overpriced performance parts :D (my choice though)

Try and pick your self up a nice Rev3 or 4 NA. probably cost around 3 or 4k

if you want more info on the history of the car and common faults, try the knowledge base on the imoc.co.uk. But you will be hard pressed to find any major faults :)

Hope this helps

Jay

A MR2 will keep the miles off the supra but it won't really save you any money as any slight fuel saving will be offset by the insurance, tax and upkeep of it.

A very cheap and very economical car is the only way to save money and even then it only works if your commute is quite long.

I spose it depends on how desperate you are to keep the supras miles down.......

Guest DuncanMiller

Hi,

Having owned a UK N/A and an import Turbo I cant honestly say the mpg is a lot better on the N/A - on a 400mile round trip I averaged 44mpg!!

The turbo is a lot quicker but you can have fun in both cars. As others have said the rev3s+ are more powerful and safer too.

D

well i was after a nice little number as my second car eg MR2 .... but if its not gonna save that much on petrol i might just go for a little run around (metro, nova etc etc).

The only reason i was thinking MR2 is the new insurance thing that has been talked about recently on the forum £440 for any car blow 16k!?, and i was quitted £425 to insure a metro 1.1 ....... so it hoguht may as well get a nice car for a runaround

Hi,

Having owned a UK N/A and an import Turbo I cant honestly say the mpg is a lot better on the N/A - on a 400mile round trip I averaged 44mpg!!

The turbo is a lot quicker but you can have fun in both cars. As others have said the rev3s+ are more powerful and safer too.

D

you had a UK N/A? impressive:D