The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Guest DuncanMiller

Guest DuncanMiller

hi all,

I signed up today as having been out of the Jap car market for a while Im getting the urge for a Supra. Ive always wanted one and owned two MR2's in the past (on UK and one import Turbo).

Had to sell the later to fund a flat and bought a fiesta for the missus to use to get to work (was doing 1000 miles a week).

Anyway she has just got a new job and the it is not important to have a sensible car anymore so I thought id check how much these babies are selling for these days. Have read the three very helpful guides from this site but was just looking for some personal opinions/views on what I should be looking at/prices etc...

First things first I could do with checking insurance, I assume that its the same as mr2's and the UK models are easier on insurance? I note that the UK models are also the top specced standard cars so guessing this is a good starting point. That said im not too worried about the extra costs of owning a turbo this time so am quite happy to consider the N/As.

Can anyone recommend a good place to get started for insurance quotes for UK or imports?

Right onto prices,

What should i be looking at paying for decent examples of each? I really quite fancy an RX-R Aerotop and saw one for sale on here (also on ebay - link) Is this a good indication of prices for one of these. Its a shame I've only just started looking as I wont have fund available in time for go for this i feel. I guess I would expect to pay less for a standard RZ and more for and SZ/GZ and even more for a UK??

Anyway I think thats all for now. Sorry for the long first post but having read the guides its really got me seriously considering the option of getting a Supra again!

Regards

Duncan

Welcome to the club!:)

First things first I could do with checking insurance, I assume that its the same as mr2's and the UK models are easier on insurance? I note that the UK models are also the top specced standard cars so guessing this is a good starting point.
Yep thats right Uk's are a lot cheaper on insuring, the main problem is finding one, they are quite rare especially the cherished ones, also even rarer in 6-speed, do you want auto or manual?

That said im not too worried about the extra costs of owning a turbo this time so am quite happy to consider the N/As.
Na are fine but insurance on one is around the same as the j-spec TT so many go for the TT!

Can anyone recommend a good place to get started for insurance quotes for UK or imports?

Club insurer Sky, or lancaster

Aerotop auto your looking at 10K plus id say!

Id go for a 6-speed J-spec TT from a member on here when one comes available, when you have the funds!

Good Luck!

Guest DuncanMiller

Hi there - thanks for the swift reply

Yep thats right Uk's are a lot cheaper on insuring, the main problem is finding one, they are quite rare especially the cherished ones, also even rarer in 6-speed, do you want auto or manual?

I'm actually quite tempted by an auto this time round and seeing as there are generally easier to find and chepaer thats prob not a bad thing.

Na are fine but insurance on one is around the same as the j-spec TT so many go for the TT!

Yeah I've just done a couple of quotes on Admiral (just to get an idea) and Standard UK is cheapest then there is not much difference between the imports

Aerotop auto your looking at 10K plus id say!

so would you say the ebay one which I saw on the sales page from this site might not be too good a car at £4-5k then?

Link from here

Ebay Link

Thanks Again

D