The mkiv Supra Owners Club

greddy or HKS BOV

robert_gray

I take it thats the one that you have? I was looking on the technical bit of the forum for how to fit one, I dont know if you've done it with your but it showed that when you take to old one off and attach the new one, only the one pipe (and the vacuum pipe of course) is connected and the other is blocked off. Just wondering on why this is

The pipe you block off is the re-circulating bit of the stock valve. It puts the waste air back into the manifold. The 'Dump valves' don't have this as they vent to atmosphere... making the kkkssshhhh sound that we all know and love.

I have the SSQV and I think it sounds fantastic, Really easy to fit (probably similar to most bov tbh) and it looks great under the bonnet.

Put a massive grin on my face the first time I pumped the throttle :D :d :D

The HKS is a technically superior BOV and I always recommend it over the Greddy.

The Greddy is your typical "spring" BOV. That means the more pressure you put on the spring, the more likely it is to open (leak). Although I have not tested the RS yet, I can tell you we have had many Type S (the BOV before the RS) leak on us and our customers.

The HKS is a "pull-relief" type BOV. This means the more pressure you put on it, the tighter it seals shut. Never heard of one leaking.

We do offer both BOV's, both universal for those who want to weld on a flange to a hard-pipe and bolt-on for those who want to install their BOV with the ease of a screwdriver. I can tell you from a sales point of view, I sell probably 50 HKS to 1 Greddy. I do sell a good number of Blitz though as well.

Hope that helps!

Dusty

• 2 weeks later...
Cheers, unfortunatly it didnt help as when i posted i was about 10-15 mins away from ordering so i have ended up with the greddy. Just about to go and fit it so we will see what happens.

Ah poor thing :) you may be able to return it or cancel it and get the HKS:innocent:

Got an HKS replica from E-bay for £17 couple months ago and it's the nuts. Louder than proper kits and the only hassel with it was getting a cer-clip to fit coz the one supplied didn't fit. Tig welded it to the hard pipe and blocked of stock pipework and away it went. Tis universal though (meaning don't fit fuck all).