The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Inlet runners and plenum

Steve

Today i have taken off my inlet runners and intake plenum to try and sort a problem out, now am just waiting for some new gaskets from Toyota.

My question is what can i do with the runners and plenum whilst they are off the car?

They are quite dirty so could do with a clean, but clean with what?

There is a bit of black build up inside the runners so needs cleaning out to.

Is it worth rubbing them down and spraying with a high temp paint?

Thanks

you could first give them a good degrease in Jizer, and i have used a mild solution of caustic soda to get rid of crud and burnt on oil, but make sure you don't leave it in the caustic for to long, as it will eat it eventually, and make sure you rinse it well.

Oh and should you ever want to remove anodising ie for polishing for instance, used to do this when i built bikes and wanted to mirror polish brake master cylinders etc, caustic is very good for this as well.

Wez, I've been thinking about this all day. The only think I can really think of is some kind of tuffnol.

The best thing about tuffnol is picking which grade to use, as for some reason totally unknown to me they're called things like carp and bear and fluffy-bunny-wabbit. OK the last one I made up, but the others are true!

Something like this :-

http://www.optionsauto.com/prodinfo.asp?number=GIZ-G6006

=========

The Gizzmo Thermal Gasket is a thick '*Phenolic' inlet manifold gasket that acts as a barrier stopping heat transferring from the engine block through into the inlet manifold. Stopping this heat transfer results in a cooler inlet charge temperature and in doing so increases engine power in much the same way an intercooler does, except this is able to benefit a turbo and non-turbo setup.

*Phenolic sheet is a hard, dense material made by applying heat and pressure to layers of paper or glass cloth impregnated with synthetic resin. These layers of laminations are usually of cellulose paper, cotton fabrics, synthetic yarn fabrics, glass fabrics or unwoven fabrics. When heat and pressure are applied to the layers, a chemical reaction (polymerization) transforms the layers into a high-pressure thermosetting industrial laminated plastic.

=========