The mkiv Supra Owners Club

brake problem

Guest mk47

posted this up about 2 weeks ago in technical got no response thought id get a bigger audience here..

anyway with my brakes everyone knows of the problems i had recently when having them fitted and re fitted, but they were working fine after the 2nd time and now when i break i can hear a loud clunking noise coming from the front but some say its the back. its like 2 things clapping together and no idea what it is, checked the brake lines and evrything seems in place. any ideas?

:blink: the shims :blink: what do they look like? do they go behind the pad? i really dont know if anythings there because the mechanic just fitted them i didnt pay much notice when he did the pads.

Its like a disk that acts as a spacer to stop pads the rattleing. I havent got them fitted on mine and i get the rattleing.

Its just the pads moving around. You can buy the shim kits and fit them if you are worried about it, but mine have been fine now for over a year.

thats alright il check it tomorrow then, it just worried me that something was seriously wrong! my mate said it might be the c.v joints or something so il check the pads again tomorrow and hopefully its something as simple as that. thanks for your help mate :)

sounds like the pads shifting in the caliper.. does it happen as you come to a stop?

yes when i press the brakes as it slows down the clicking starts and its quite loud

sounds like the pads shifting in the calipers.. take them out and put copper ease behind them (dont get any on the front -duh) or pop a set of anti- squeal shims in there. This is a piece of cake to do, if you can remove a wheel you can remove the pads - they drop out of the rear of the caliper after you release the retaining clip.