The mkiv Supra Owners Club

17" wheels question. Handling: Stock vs aftermarket.

RedM

I have stock 17s on my car and love the handling but I think they look a little dated.

I'm rather smitten with the Gram Lights 57s pro and most other seven spoke wheels (for some reason).

My question is will the handling characteristics change using an aftermarket 17" wheel? I'd guess that if it's the same width, offset etc then it should ride the same.

Would I be right or is it not that simple?

Sadly I don't think they do those Gram Lights in the same settings as stock.:(

Just make sure that the wheels are as robust as the stock ones.

You don't want them buckling or disintegrating if you hit a pothole at speed.

If they *are* lighter, make sure that the design allows the disks to cool adequately, this is a major reason why people damage their disks after some spirited driving (uneven cooling with the pads at the same position)

Different wheels dissipate heat in a different way, depending on the airflow around the spokes.

slight thread diversion............but talking of brake cooling changing with different wheel types, the loss of the inner brake ducts when going from Jap spec to UK brakes must have a far more significant effect, yes or no?

I really dont see this being much of an issue for people using their cars as daily drivers or basically, not tracking/racing them hard.

If they *are* lighter, make sure that the design allows the disks to cool adequately, this is a major reason why people damage their disks after some spirited driving (uneven cooling with the pads at the same position)

Different wheels dissipate heat in a different way, depending on the airflow around the spokes.

Would you say the Gram Lights offer adequate airflow. I know they have more spokes but they are narrower than the stock wheels.

How does a wheels lightness affect cooling? Do you mean they act as heatsinks?

... Do you mean they act as heatsinks?

Yes.

The thickness and composition of the pads also affects this heat transfer.

The wheel design also affects the way air flows around the disks when the car is moving.

For example, when taking tyre temps right after a hard lap, you need to be very quick before this 'heatsink' effect starts to distort your readings.

Especially the front disks.

Having read a discussion elsewhere about the merits of PCCB brakes vs iron brakes (which save 4kg per corner) I can't see there being a huge amount of difference in the handling unless you are getting some really bastard heavy wheels vs the stock 17's- the ride I can certainly see suffering with more unsprung weight crashing about, but imo unless you are pushing it to the Nth degree on a track are you genuinely going to notice a difference between a 15kg wheel and a 20kg wheel when hacking along your favourite set of twisties?

Just my £0.02 after borrowing a set of UK17's vs my Mania 18's (which weigh a ton)

ps, I've never had brake fade of any significance from memory.