The mkiv Supra Owners Club

insurance with crash bar removed.

SupraStar 3000

This is a question regarding another thread I need help on.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?p=985603#post985603

AFAIK most people, especially those with Do-Luck front bumpers remove the crash bar to make the kit fit. But removing the crash bar must effect insurance, or make your current insurance void.

so how is it done?

Anyone with Sky and a after market bumper?

HELP :blink:

please

TBH, I'd go with what Simon B states. You're declaring a mod to your car, so legally you're covered by that declaration. They don't ask you about the in's and out's of it. Its not a massive modification to the chassis, and the crash bar is there/effective for low speed shunts.

ok, but IF you do have an accident and rear-end a brand new Aston Martin and the insurance assessor or accident investigation finds your missing the "crash bar" (which would have helped prevent damage) the insurance won't want to pay for the repairs and your faced with TWO major bills and no insurance your fcuked.

Lets face it, these people look for any excuses NOT to pay-up.

Don't want to seem negative here but I have all my savings tide up in this car and I want to make sure it covered 100%.

I already have a high valuation on a NA Supra which I appreciate from Sky so don't want to jeopardize anything

I think you will be fine on the insurance front Ed.

But i do think it does actually afford that little bit of extra protection to the driver.

In a crash parts are designed to warp and bend, so as to absorb the energy of the impact, if it didn't budge or bend when hit the energy would get transferred to the cabin and the driver.

ok, but IF you do have an accident and rear-end a brand new Aston Martin and the insurance assessor or accident investigation finds your missing the "crash bar" (which would have helped prevent damage) the insurance won't want to pay for the repairs and your faced with TWO major bills and no insurance your fcuked.

Lets face it, these people look for any excuses NOT to pay-up.

Don't want to seem negative here but I have all my savings tide up in this car and I want to make sure it covered 100%.

I already have a high valuation on a NA Supra which I appreciate from Sky so don't want to jeopardize anything

They would only be able to refuse to pay your bill. THey'd have to cover the 3rd party claim regardless. They COULD then reclaim these costs from you and cancel your insurace, but as previously stated you've declared the change to the front end and this is part of it. To be honest, I very much doubt that any assessor would know that the crash bar should be there. Besides, if the front of the car is mangled enough in a crash to expose it, the chances are it would be like the foil around a kit-kat by then and would look nothing like it did originally anyway!

ok,

Really stressing about this now :(

Do I mention the crash bar when I phone Jay at Sky tomorrow or just inform them of the aftermarket bumper and assume they know.

I really don't want to leave anything to chance.

:taped:

I don't give a cr@p about personal safety but can't afford to invalidate my policy!

Thats what I need :)

Have you any more detials on that please :)

PLEASE ;) ;)

You need to speak to GVN mate.. They wont be able to do it for w awhile as Mario is on Hliday for another week i think.

Since I had this fitted I also noticed considerably less chassis flex up front! Its a big difference