The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Handling Improvements WHAT CAN I DO

boombastictiger

Hi

I really want to know what i can do to improve my handling of my NA supra..

Its already lowered and its got bigger fatter wheels/tyres. got a racing steering wheel..and a bodykit for better aerodynamics...I think hehe...

What else can I do to improve the handling, make it sharper round corners etc..

I heard struts are meant to do the job but is there anything else aswell?

I really want to know what i can do to improve my handling of my NA supra..

Its already lowered and its got bigger fatter wheels/tyres. got a racing steering wheel..and a bodykit for better aerodynamics...I think hehe...

What else can I do to improve the handling, make it sharper round corners etc..

I heard struts are meant to do the job but is there anything else aswell?

Put it back to stock 17" wheels

255/40/17 rear tyres, 235/45/17 fronts

Refit the stock suspension

Get all the bushes and alignment checked by somebody who knows what they're doing.

You aren't going to improve the handling of what used to be a great handling car by bolting more aftermarket tat on to it. You need to restore the previously good handling it had when it was stock.

What's up with the handling anyway? Can you describe what the problem is?

Put it back to stock 17" wheels

255/40/17 rear tyres, 235/45/17 fronts

Refit the stock suspension

Get all the bushes and alignment checked by somebody who knows what they're doing.

You aren't going to improve the handling of what used to be a great handling car by bolting more aftermarket tat on to it. You need to restore the previously good handling it had when it was stock.

What's up with the handling anyway? Can you describe what the problem is?

Noo theres no problem, it handles very nicely, I outcornered a 350z in a lil race the other day and kept up with an m3, but I kept holding back in fear of the rear spinning out which it has done on a few occasions....When going round corners sometimes alot of pressure on one corner could be reduced by struts. I just want it better handling really for nippy turns etc..

18" and they wider 9.5" at the back, with 285/35/18 tyres and 245/30/18 at front
The tyre sidewall is too low on your front tyres and too high on the rears.

245/35/18 or 245/40/18 would be closer to stock on the front

and 255 or 265/35/18 on the rear.

18" and they wider 9.5" at the back, with 285/35/18 tyres and 245/30/18 at front

Dude, thats serious grip for a n/a car. 285 on a 9.5 rim is a bit slack.

Size without quality isnt much good. So.........as suggested here I second the option of the o.e. 17" but make sure you have a fab tyre, e.g. bridgestone RE050, and the geometry setup by the likes of CW (he posts on here regular) and I believe your car will handle fine, unless you have buggered shocks or over lowered it. For the record a super low ride height and mahogany blocks for struts handles awful lol. :D

p.s. If you must stick with your 18", I suggest 265 on the rear and 235 on the front RE050.

run sum 275/30/19 rear and 235/35/19 front lowered on tein adjustables and set the front low 2.5cm from the arch to the rim and rear set up is 3.5cm from arch to rim and covered all tyres in egle f1 tyres which r very sticky for track use and front strut and it gos round corners like a go cart (very stiff)

run sum 275/30/19 rear and 235/35/19 front lowered on tein adjustables and set the front low 2.5cm from the arch to the rim and rear set up is 3.5cm from arch to rim and covered all tyres in egle f1 tyres which r very sticky for track use and front strut and it gos round corners like a go cart (very stiff)

This is pretty much the opposite of what a properly setup Supra will have.

Chris Wilson is going to have a coronary if he sees this thread :D

:rolleyes:

Oh good grief.

got a racing steering wheel...What else can I do to improve the handling

I dispair.

And as for the tosh in here...

fit front strut brace and under front and rear braces if u can find em

not sure if rear upper brace does much

where can u buy the lower braces in the uk as only seen in the U.S

and

1. Strut braces that go from tower to tower don't actually do a lot on the Supra the chassis is very good already. But they do look nice.

2. Chris Wilson on this board does a full suspension setup based on Bilstien dampers for about 1k. This isn't as cheap as a set of TEIN's but then TEIN's arn't that great!

3. The lower the profile of the tyre the lower the comfort.

4. 16-17" wheels are the optimum...that's why it came with them!!!

5. Why do new owners always assume they know more than the biggest car company in the world?

6. Lower braces??!! No wonder you're struggling to find them... :rolleyes:

7. Anti-Roll Bars (Sway Bars in USA) are designed to keep the car flat when cornering and distribute the loads. But the stiffer they are the more uncomfortable the car is on uneven surfaces. They are about £400.

When opted to go for 19's i was advised not to, i was told that the handling will be majorly compromised and that i should stick with 17's...preferably even smaller, i was also advised that i should not lower the car, not even a mm. i was made aware of C.Wilson and is hatred for aftermarket wheels and coilovers, i thought to hell with that and brought my gold 19" Cr's and lowered the car.

But on the other hand i have a mate who did take the advise and below is his car, handles like a dream, looks like.....:D

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/3964/supraxl8.jpg

im not changing my wheels, no way...18" deep dish chrome, Common I got a NA so i gotta compete on style if not full on speed...

Comfort i dont care about, when im driving i dont mind the bumps to much...the car is already lowered, not to low though...Handles amazingly though , but its the lean when cornering heavy that i find holds me back a bit,

Whats the best method to stop the lean....Struts?