The mkiv Supra Owners Club

FAO All Supra Owners with a Garage to park in - please respond :)

Pabs

Hey all...

Basically I'm intrigued. My mum and dad own an *cough* FTO, and park it in their garage every night. They have a double garage, but it's got a partition on the front, seperating it into 2 doors.

Now, who owns a garage and parks their supra in it???

How much space do you have once the Supra is in the garage? I'm assuming that most garages are the same size, and as my mum and dad struggle to get in/out of the car, or move about the car to work on it when its in the garage, I'm thinking the same problem will exist with the mk4 supra.

Can people please let me know how they get on?

Because I'm planning so far ahead - I'm actually looking to buy a house with a garage JUST FOR MY SUPRA!!! Thats how dedicated I am lol.

Oh, and I did search, using the terms "garage", "garage supra" and "garage supra space" but i either got every thread possible or no threads at all :(

Apparently my garage at my parents where my supe is kept is quite wide but to get it in the bloody door i have to pull the mirrors in its about 2 inches either side, then i have a nail in the wall to say how far in to go but my garage is slightly wider once inside so i can swing the door open ok and get out onto my lovely carpet complete with underlay and nice fitted (home made) cover with winter heater! Gotta look after my baby!

Handy tip: When parking in a tight space such as a garage, open your windows before you get out. Supra windows overhang by a stupid amount and it makes it much easier to get out.

An alarm system with an auto window closer comes in handy too.

I have about 2 inches either side of each mirror if I get it right. I usually aim closer to the drivers side and pull in the drivers mirror, then, once in, I park at a slight angle to give me a little more door opening space.

I also have Clifford Smart Windows which allows me to open and close the windows by remote. Slithering in and out of the car with the window open is far easier. Even for a skinny git like me!

I have about 2 inches either side of each mirror if I get it right. I usually aim closer to the drivers side and pull in the drivers mirror, then, once in, I park at a slight angle to give me a little more door opening space.

Do the same myself in my Gtr33-I had to delete the skinny bit of your post,as I am not Im afraid!!!:D

hmmmm, so basically if I parked a supra in a garage - would there be enough room in the garage (with door closed) to be able to walk around the car, and to do any work on it?? I'm thinking engine bay - possibly a bit of under car work (with a trolley jack)?? I'm thinking the trolley jack arm might not fit due to its length?

Because I'm planning so far ahead - I'm actually looking to buy a house with a garage JUST FOR MY SUPRA!!! Thats how dedicated I am lol.

:(

That makes two of us then:cool: I had an offer on a house with a garage accepted 2 days ago, and when i move in a black tt is the 1st thing on my list:cool: Good luck with it Pablo

I'm actually looking to buy a house with a garage JUST FOR MY SUPRA!!! Thats how dedicated I am lol.

Know the feeling well mate - a garage was a pre-requisite for me when we were looking for a house!! Ballast wanted a garden, I insisted on a garage:d

As it is, the Supe fits in with about 4" spare from the wing mirror (with the other one almost touching the wall). Once in I have about a foot one side to get in/out of if the passanger side is brushing the wall :D :d

Undignified and ungainley entry/exit but at least my baby's safe and warm at night:d :D :d

i want somewhere warm/dry to work on my car - hence the garage. Also safe from people keying it when on the drive (i'm sure we've all seen the threads on here about it).

Double garage is well out of the question - very limited in our budget to find a place with a garage at all tbh.

Thanks Firepool - good luck with your hunt too! :D

lambo doors? That will only cure the getting in/out problem - but not space to work on.....

I think its going to be a tight fit. :( When I want to do any work, no doubt i'll have to hang the a*se end of the car out of the door, and work under the bonnet with the garage door over me head.

I have a double garage mate, not much space around the car once its in, dont even think about working on the car in the garage as there is no room what so ever for doing anything like that, I can only open the driver door when Im in, as its openning in the middle of the garage but no way to open the passenger door its just too close to the wall.

but it really worth having a garage, at least you know the supra is safe when you not using it.

Rip the partition down between the two halves of the double garage?

sorry - u misunderstand - I don't live at my parents - i was just using them as an example with their fto.

The partition is a load bearing thingy anyway - ripping it out would bring the roof down.

I suppose I've got to look for a house with a garage, and then make sure there's plenty of flat drivespace to use as well. :blink:

I put mine in a double garage and its a snug fit but do have a fridge and some other bits at the front defo wouldnt have room to work on it. Pulling down the partition would defo help i dont have one in my garage so plenty room to get out can open the door fully, but i do take mirriors in when driving in to be on the safe side.

Handy tip: When parking in a tight space such as a garage, open your windows before you get out. Supra windows overhang by a stupid amount and it makes it much easier to get out..

Yeah, this is a good tip.

When I park the supra tightly to make space for the bike in the garage, the door only opens by 2-3 inches.

I ain't no Kate Moss, so can't fit.

BUT if I lower the window, I can fit, then once out (wearing the wing mirror as a belly ring) I can keep the door open and shut the window, pull the key off the ignition and shut the door.

Job done.

Getting back in is the reverse: open door, slide key into ignition, lower window etc.;)

Park mine well to the left, usually have about 2 ins clearance on that side and about 6 or so on the other to squeeze out.

I hate the garage because of the spiders the periodically drift down on their webs and try and get me. They probably hate me because I gas and deafen them.

Well, after reading the above threads, it makes me realise how lucky I am.

How big (small!) are your garages? :shock:

I've got a double (18'x24') and a single(10'x20') garage. Even in the single, there's plenty of room to get in and out of the Supra, hell I used to park my Plymouth in there and still be able to get out of it, and I'm certainly no Kate Moss (in so many ways :D)

Obviously there's plenty of room in the double to work on cars, especially if they're parked in the middle ;)

I've got to say that when I went looking for houses, garaging was of prime importance. I can remember turning up to viewings in a full size Chrysler 300 I had at the time, and before I even looked in the inside of the house, I made sure that the car would fit down the alleyway to the garage or garage space :D

My garages are getting a bit old now, and really need rebuilding:(

I'm undecided at the moment about what to do. Whether to build on big triple+ garage or to keep the same configuration.

I'd really like to get some kind of ramp/lift installed this time around, as I'm too bloody old to be grovelling around the floor :D

Obviously this all comes down to the cost, but it's something I'm going to be investigating in the near future.

If any of you are interested, I'll keep you posted ;)

Let's be honest, I'll tell you whether you are, or not, and leave it up to you to decide about reading the thread :)

Guest Mista_V

I wondered about this for ages before I got mine, I have a normal size garage in a block of garages and my brain just couldn't accept a supra was gonna fit!

In the end my m8 bought a sup and so I got him to try and get his in there, when i saw it went in the Supra was a green light :D

I did however move out nearly everything, with the celica I had 2 bookcases behind it but not with the sup, I can get it in with the mirrors out I basically park it as close to passenger side wall as I can safely and on a slight angle, I can then get out easily BUT defo no space to work on the car if needed.