The mkiv Supra Owners Club

One step forward, 2 back

jaymdee

Why is it a simple thing creates more problems!!!

I've noticed a water sloshing noise from the back of my car recently, and have concluded that my TRD wing is letting water into the side pods. So I took it off today, emptied the water out and placed plastic cement/sealant where there are gaps where the bolt holes go. Start to put it back together and drop one of the bastard bolts down into the rear hatch and it slides up between the outer and inner skins :( no chance of getting it out with fingers).

So I'm now gonna have the sound of a bolt rolling back and forth in the hatch every time I accelerate, brake and go round corners. I can hear it sliding when I open & close the hatch.

Anyone else done this (and going to admit to it!) and got any tips for getting the bleeder out????

J

try one of those aerial looking things that some garages use to pull spark plugs out with. they have a very strong magnet and very thin so can get through gaps.

I did this when fitting mine acouple of weeks back, fortunately i could see it and poked it with a screw driver and got my fingertips on it.

As regards the water problem. Did you have 2 sticky pads which stick to the face of the spoiler which meets the tailgate when bolted to it? Or was the spoiler touching the boot with no pad?

Gaz

I've done this before, luckily was able to reach it just. If you close the boot will it slide down to the end so you can reach it?

Hi Nic, No I can't reach it, but I drove the car last night and it moved down to the bottom near the plastic bit, so I'm going to check in a minute. Have also ordered an extendible magnet from Ebay for £3.50

As regards the water problem. Did you have 2 sticky pads which stick to the face of the spoiler which meets the tailgate when bolted to it? Or was the spoiler touching the boot with no pad?

Gaz

Gaz, yes I bought the sticky pads for the underside of the side parts of the spoiler where it touches the boot, but the water's come in from the top where the centre piece bolts to the side pieces. Hope fully all sealed now :)

J

I have a couple of those telescopic magnet things. It's a bit of a standing joke with IanC and myself - I had to find the most powerful one I could, so when on a weekend in Derbyshire, I found one in a little hardware store for 99p - it is capable of lifting (wait for it) 8lb!!!

Trouble is, if the lost nut/bolt is lying amongst other magnetic metals, you've no chance of getting this thing near it as it alwars twangs off in the direction of the nearest bit of metal and attaches itself to it!

(Sorry - not relevant I know but had to share that with you all)

:)