The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Do i go single or stick with twins??

MaveriK

Right, sorry for the tale of woe..................

Basically i paid to have super duper fecking hybrids installed by everyones bestest mate Slowdog. Since his work i have paid just about everyman and his dog to put things right and my patience and my bank balance are running more than a little thin.

Greg at Turbofit has looked at them and is sending them away for a refurb cost. I have a FMIC, 650's, Emanage Ultimate and a new Walbro with FPR so do i continue down the twins road or spend a little more and go single?

ps If we have anymore sightings of Slowdog please feel free to kick him in the nuts from me.

Will that give me more WALLOP than a hybrid twin setup?

What sort of BHP could i expect with my setup with hybrids or a small single?

you seem to have all the right bits to go single, 500 rwhp on a T61 no probs fast spool up and you will notice a huuuuuuuge difference

What was wrong with the hybrids? You have the supporting kit to to either Single or Jybrids.

But if you have the hybrids already I'd stick with them....it's cheaper to referb them (if they really need it) than go single. (Well it should be).

The Hybrids will take less mapping too. I'd give Ian C a bell when you're ready to map either Single or Hybrids...he'll work wonders with the EMU ;)

If you dont mind losing a little bottom end power, whilst improving mid-top end vastly, then singles are for you.

I recently switched to a single turbo. Car is slower around town and feels like an NA due to lack of 1st turbo helping with the low rpm boost, but once its rolling and the turbo kicks in, its much, much faster. Would never go back to twins :)

I love the sequential system, but with hybrids the extra temps are something that would be on my mind. If you went for a small single you'd loose like half the original weight and you could have the same power if you wanted with more available.

But i think what you really need to do is go out in a single. People don't always realise what the change is like.

I dont think all single setups are like that :innocent:

Absolutely right Wez. Jase, take a look at the BPU vs T61 setup below ;)

I love the sequential system, but with hybrids the extra temps are something that would be on my mind. If you went for a small single you'd loose like half the original weight and you could have the same power if you wanted with more available.

But i think what you really need to do is go out in a single. People don't always realise what the change is like.

Couldn't agree more. The difference between a properly setup single and BPU is shocking.

I do not consider the XS power stuff a proper single though, they're fat diesel turbo's and have no place on performance cars. A properly set up single (BL, PHR, SP, Garret, HKS etc) will be mind blowing.

T61 vs BPU.jpg

I do not consider the XS power stuff a proper single though, they're fat diesel turbo's and have no place on performance cars. A properly set up single (BL, PHR, SP, Garret, HKS etc) will be mind blowing.

You wanna be carefull you don't fall into that snobbery section that seems to be going round :D Have a chat with IanR and then race him and you'll be VERY surprised.

You wanna be carefull you don't fall into that snobbery section that seems to be going round :D

Whom, me? ;) I'm being careful to avoid that. But there's SO little info on the XS turbo's I'm resigned to believe the hype (or lack of it). Nothing so far on this forum or other forums has shown them anywhere near equal competitor to the mainstream turbo's. I agree the rest of the XS power stuff is okay if you don't mind some metalwork (or have someone like turbofit to do it), but the turbo's are another matter.

When someone runs an XS power turbo'd car at SRR on the same day as a few other Supra's then maybe we can reach some conclusions...

I’m not anti XS power by any means (or Turbofit for that matter, in fact I think very highly of Sam and Greg). It’d just be nice to see some comparable results for once, so far on this forum we’ve seen nothing except opinions and conjecture.

now i am drunk i have changed my mind, forget kicking that waste in the plums, i want the pleasure of hurting him myself. He left me carless during my partners pregnancy and has ripped me off left right. I whole heartedly apologise to anyone that i may have pointed in his direction and i have never wished ill of anyone but if he gets run over by a bus tomorrow i want to be driving it.

Rant over for now

now i am drunk i have changed my mind, forget kicking that waste in the plums, i want the pleasure of hurting him myself. He left me carless during my partners pregnancy and has ripped me off left right. I whole heartedly apologise to anyone that i may have pointed in his direction and i have never wished ill of anyone but if he gets run over by a bus tomorrow i want to be driving it.

Rant over for now

So I assume he doesn't come to your Birthday parties then m8!!:ecstatic:

I almost left my car with him before I went away for 6-months - I am so pleased that my personal admin (not hygiene with anyone gets confused) was up my arse that day as I didn't get a chance to drop it off!:clap:

Back to the theme of the thread but I have a pair of mint-Hybrids in the garage and I'm wondering if I should slap a single on the car instead - not sure though as I've got an auto!!