The mkiv Supra Owners Club

"Beefing up the home security" Sin City

Sheefa

Right all,

After having my car keyed by some chavs i'm now beefing up the home security. I'm thinking of a CCTV camera, either a car install or home install looking over the drive. My drive is pretty secure with high hedges and my car was keyed when it was left on the side of the road outside my girlfriends drive (stupid I know :( ).

I'm also thinking about a car cover to hide the beauty from view, my car not my girlfriend of course. This may help deter a few people hopefully.

Anyways, anybody else fitted this or installed a camera? Price ideas and any links to products much appreciated! Lets stop the chav scum that walks this earth. :cool:

Ive got microwave sensors with my toad alarm,if anyone gets within 1 to 2 feet of the car it will set off the warning siren for 15secs you can get some versions that say "warning this vehicle is protected by........etc etc" It keeps the local kids away from my car.:)

I've set up a "dusk till dawn" light at the back of my drive, shining over the supe if anyone comes within a few feet.

Light's so bright it shines straight in the opposite neighbours windows.

That grumpy old bugger's better than a burglar alarm any day. :D

Infared cameras are frikking good. Seen a couple in action, but not sure of cost. Think i'll look at the mircowave sensors and a cover. Anyone know which car cover is best for supras? I want some bloody anti-scratch protection!!!!

All cameras are infra-red sensitive. They are fitted with an IR cut filter usually attached directly onto the CCD. This cuts out the infra red.

Here you can see a filter which I have removed from a camera:

http://www.uk2sucks.net/irfilter.jpg

Here you can see a camera which has had the filter removed. The black plastic bit is the piece which holds the filter against the CCD. You simply unscrew and remove the whole lot, or sometimes put the plastic housing back in place without the filter (as in this case).

http://www.uk2sucks.net/camera.jpg

You are then left with a camera which sees infra-red light as if it's white light. Just buy an Infra-Red 'illuminator' or flood light. I have bought a 140 LED IR Illuminator, and it's shit. The beam doesn't spread at all, very much like a spotlight. Buy a proper one (basically a powerful lamp with an IR pass-filter in front of it).

This works fine for most CCTV style CCD cameras. The Samsung Digital camera in this pic was no good, since after removing the filter you need to be able to adjust the CCD position relative to the lens. I.e. you need to move the CCD nearer/farther from the lens, or have a more adjustable lens that those that I had. On all the other cameras I used, there was a dial to make this CCD postition adjustment. Just not on this Samsung one.

On another camera, a miniature 'dome' camera, the filter was bonded to the CCD so I had to chip away at it with a sharp kitchen knife. Was fine in the end though.