The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Pump Gas / race fuel confusion

pump gas pete

It is very easily done but I am confused.

I asked what the drag racing record was for a 6 speed Supra in the UK.

I like to have targets to aim at.

Gaz kindly posted his time see below.

Pete,

When we drag race we only run race fuel for safety, and power. We make about the same power on Optimax though.

We've ran 10.409 @ 145mph at Pod before on race fuel.

Gaz.

envyperformance.com

The Performance Parts Company

Well now I am confused because I thought that race fuel gave a fair degree of extra horsepower "safely". (100 extra in Usmans case) and yet it appears they make the same. Is the map backed right off? If the ENVY car makes the same power on Optimax as race fuel are we going to have to chase 10.4 ?

I want to find out , still , who has the UK record on PUMP GAS (OPTIMAX)

Any one help?

Peter

The CRD 6-speed is the car to beat (well it was before it was tubbed). It ran a 9.x(4 I think).

Anyway, you can run more power but it depends on the weather on the day really. Racetracks tend to get very hot, and so when you actually don't want the car to blow up you use the race fuel as a safety measure and not a power maker.

Guest Terry S

Pete the race fuel should make a big difference mate, to either the amount of boost and/or the amount of timing you can run.

If we are talking C16 or Klotz 118 then the difference could be massive.

Guest dee_rz

aim for the fastest 6 speed privateer non funded/sponsered time that's probably low 11 at guess as i know i've seen a guy do a 11.0 i'm with terry here running a c16 or koltz type fuel with that octane a much higher power should be achieved wasn't it norris evo that dyno'd 760bhp @flywheel on pump gas and make something like 900 on c16 that was the difference i think something alone those lines he has more power now, not worth aiming for the big guns/sponsered/funded guys times just aim for privateer 6 speed :) with your power i'm sure aim if anything it's your for the taking :cool:

QUOTE=dee_rz;981493]aim for the fastest 6 speed privateer non funded/sponsered time that's probably low 11 at guess as i know i've seen a guy do a 11.0 i'm with terry here running a c16 or koltz type fuel with that octane a much higher power should be achieved wasn't it norris evo that dyno'd 760bhp @flywheel on pump gas and make something like 900 on c16 that was the difference i think something alone those lines he has more power now, not worth aiming for the big guns/sponsered/funded guys times just aim for privateer 6 speed :) with your power i'm sure aim if anything it's your for the taking :cool:

It's worth noting at this point that you don't just get more power by sticking the fuel in the tank, you have to advance the ignition timing/wind on more boost/both and map it properly for that in order to take advantage of the higher octane properties of the race fuel. Don't just stick it in your BPU supra and expect +90bhp :)

You may see a smal improvement over time as the stock ECU learns it can add more ignition advance but that's it, nothing like the gains from basing the map around the race fuel in the first place.

-Ian

It's worth noting at this point that you don't just get more power by sticking the fuel in the tank, you have to advance the ignition timing/wind on more boost/both and map it properly for that in order to take advantage of the higher octane properties of the race fuel. Don't just stick it in your BPU supra and expect +90bhp :)

You may see a smal improvement over time as the stock ECU learns it can add more ignition advance but that's it, nothing like the gains from basing the map around the race fuel in the first place.

Thanks Ian, you just saved me typing all of that :D

OK ,,,,

I am going to go with the Envy 10.4 but er......can I pass on the 145 'cos that IS a very good top end. My wide body (and my Wide body) may just take the edge off our top end.

I am champing at the bit 'cos being the competitive soul I am I have real and imagined scores to settle.

Please God don't let me blow it up....

Please God don't let me blow it up....

Please God don't let me blow it up......

Bobbeh is quite right ....

I want to drive to the track , on pump gas ,race and drive home.

The rear seats ARE removed but have been replaced by 10" subs which Darren assures me is the only way to listen to Leonard Cohen.

One other race concession we will have to make is rear wheels.

We will be taking a set up with us 'cos I have no wish to wear out my road tyres and the race ones have a road life of 3kmiles.

We would like to be the quickest/fastest private Supra.

6 weeks .............it seems like a lifetime.

You see i'm not too bad with my dodgy datson lol

the fastest 300zx in this country so far is only 12.7 which should be pretty easy to beat with my old set never mind my new setup

the only thing which worries me is if i do get her into the low 11's or high 10's will i get the bug and go away from having a super fast road car and start getting silly and stripping it out etc

Mike

No No you don't understand Lee T ..I AM A WIDE BODY as well. (Middle Age Spread)

Bobbeh, on our 12.26 run an eternity ago it ran a bye.

Darren and others could hear the wheels spinning up in 1st....2nd....3rd....4th....5th......

We had definite issues with wheelspin.

We hope to have cured it with a couple of changes in downforce.

Our road tyres are only 315s but........

In our stock to be brought out when ness. we have a lightweight set of wheels , made for us Stateside , which at the time they were made , were the widest they had made for a Supra.....anywhere.

We can now fit our 345 BF Goodrich Drag radials UNDER the arches.

We await developments on the wheelspin front now!!!

I have just nipped upstairs at the factory to look at them.....yummy.

Gaz.....to put a date on coming out is to invite stress and dissapointment.

When we are ready you will be amongst the first to know.

Peter

Peter

Guest dee_rz
QUOTE=dee_rz;981493]aim for the fastest 6 speed privateer non funded/sponsered time that's probably low 11 at guess as i know i've seen a guy do a 11.0 i'm with terry here running a c16 or koltz type fuel with that octane a much higher power should be achieved wasn't it norris evo that dyno'd 760bhp @flywheel on pump gas and make something like 900 on c16 that was the difference i think something alone those lines he has more power now, not worth aiming for the big guns/sponsered/funded guys times just aim for privateer 6 speed :) with your power i'm sure aim if anything it's your for the taking :cool:

-Ian

:twak: :jester: i know you don't just drop it in the tank and you get that power gain you numpty :D yes you have to tune it for that formula and mixture :D and then the gains are massive

I am still trying to get out of the door....customers e-mails this time.....

Will do spec during as best as I know it......which won't help much...

lets see Veilside.....1200cc injectors...fuel pumps and stuff...4 row.....fans electric....272s....ported head.....billet crank.....crower rods ......pistons of some kind ....hks?.....a 76? turbo......what else is there to say....

As you can see I don't take a great deal of interest in what goes into the car.....Darren just gives me bills and headaches.....its got "stuff".

I am sitting here looking at the screen and really there is not a lot to a car engine is there?

Steves car sounds really good......but tempting though it is to run race fuel.......not this year.....lets see what can be achieved on pump.

Bobbeh.....

OK.......but I may have a headache.....a backache.....arthritis....or even excuseitis......or I may ....just may.....hook the M.......f......r up and drive it like I hate it.......mmmmm could be interesting...and I suspect costly....

bottom line yeah course......only through competition can one improve....ask em at work with the table tennis!!!!