The mkiv Supra Owners Club

soarer twin turbo engine into n/a supra ever been done

steve0

alrite folks a mechanic friend of mine whos mad about soarers hes got two of them hes just wrote one off the other week spun and hit a lampost the back end driver side got it so hes just breaking it hes offered me the engine its a 2.5 twin turbo auto similer to the supra tt i think and offered to fit it for me for a real low price just wondering if its ever been done before the engine was just serviced and i know it was well maintained so anyone any idea what would be need to be done would the gearbox ecu need to be changed and that thanks

Soarer engine is 1jz-gte same as used in the mk3. I think they're exactly the same mount points, I've certainly heard of 2jz being fitted into mk3's. So should be an easy enough job putting a 1jz in a mk4 n/a.

Would be an interesting project, in someways I think the 1jz is a nicer engine.

Dont think it has been done yet and there's no real reason why, The 1JZ is fantastic engine, great to tune and will fit nicely in the MK4, I'd probably be mating it up to the getrag 6 speed box, but the 5 speed box should be strong enough if tuning to around 500bhp.

I thought a while ago about the 1jz, its lighter than the 2jz and should fit the same, as my mate seems to think the soarer has a similar chassis. Think all the problems you would have would be to do with electrical work, but even then it probably is the same.

Had a good poke around the soarer and the engine is very similat to the 2jz, physically and visually.

I wonder if the 1jz is a lighter engine?

Hmm funny as I am considering swapping out the 1JZ thats in my Mark 3 for a 2 JZ. Bulkheads and stuff can be an issue. If you are auto that can be a major pain as the ECU for a soarers box is gonna be different to the one in your N/A. You may end up swapping out the box as well or going manual.

Why not build a 1.5JZ? ;) Take the 2jz block and put the 1jz head on. Apparently a good mod as the 1jz head has better flowing, revs higher and is produced to a higher standard. but the 2jz block means 3ltrs and more torque over a 1jz.

ECU's are far as i am aware are not an issue as they are all based on (or identical) to the standard A343E.

But if the engine is coming out why not fit a W58 or V160 :).

well the whole soarers being broken so maybe change the gearbox aswell unless a 5 speed manual from an n/a would fit or would a better one from a different car be put in ive no idea which low i was going to sell my supra but since hes spoke ive kind of changed my mind so dont really know

Some random thoughts....

Some Aussies have used the 2JZ-GTE in the Soarer with the 1JZ loom plugged on to the 2JZ sensors, so I assume that you could use the 2JZ loom attached to the 1JZ sensors...but, would you need a Supra TT ECU and engine loom?

The 1JZ redlines at 7000. If you used the autobox would the 2JZ ECU change up early?

The Soarer turbos run in parallel, so there's no ECU control to worry about.

If you tried to use the Soarer ECU, how much hassle would it be to wire it into the Supra (the Soarer has a digital dash). Would the 1JZ ECU run the Supra autobox? Would the Supra ECU run the Soarer autobox?

Some random thoughts....

Some Aussies have used the 2JZ-GTE in the Soarer with the 1JZ loom plugged on to the 2JZ sensors, so I assume that you could use the 2JZ loom attached to the 1JZ sensors...but, would you need a Supra TT ECU and engine loom?

The 1JZ redlines at 7000. If you used the autobox would the 2JZ ECU change up early?

The Soarer turbos run in parallel, so there's no ECU control to worry about.

If you tried to use the Soarer ECU, how much hassle would it be to wire it into the Supra (the Soarer has a digital dash). Would the 1JZ ECU run the Supra autobox? Would the Supra ECU run the Soarer autobox?

1JZ and 2JZ looms are almost identical. the gearbox has its own ECU so doesnt matter which main ECU you are using.

If the bellhousing fits a 2JZ it will fit a 1JZ.

A member of the Australian Soarer and Supra forums has a normally aspirated JZA80 fitted with a 1JZ-GTE / auto.

http://soarercentral.com/sc-forum/messages/126/38882.html

http://soarercentral.com/sc-forum/messages/285/42766.html

http://www.supraforums.com.au

EDIT:

Just checked -- you've already found Ben. He has posted in your thread on supraforums.com.au :)

These seem to be his project threads

http://www.supraforums.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=10949

http://www.supraforums.com.au/forum/showthread.php?p=212400#post212400

well been looking threw other websites seams the gearbox in the manual soarer tt is the same in the mk3 supra but the soarer sits further back so if changing to manual which would be best an n/a gearbox or the tt mk3 box my mates busy the now so havent seen him in a few days so thought il get everything checked out what do yous think thanks