The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Looking for my first Supra!

Guest nickjohn

Guest nickjohn

Hi guys, The time has come for my first supra :D

I'm looking for N/A or single turbo, manual and J-spec due to budget

I'm wondering about the running costs however, I mean everything from tax to oil changes. Any information is appreciated!

cheers

Hi guys, The time has come for my first supra :D

I'm wondering about the running costs however, I mean everything from tax to oil changes. Any information is appreciated!

cheers

Welcome. N/a or single turbo due to budget, im pretty sure that there is a huge price difference between the 2 as single turbos were never available as standard you have to get them converted, do you mean twin turbo? oil changes arent too expensive and if you do a search theres plenty on fuel consumption etc.

theres plenty of cars for sale at the moment if you check out the for sale section too :) good luck with the search.

Guest nickjohn

Basicly I actually meant NOT UK, due to budget. I'm not looking for a TT just yet. Must be manual though!

I was thinking of supra specific running costs... anything I wont already know really

to be honest m8, the way i looked at it when i got my supra was ... ok the imports are cheaper but the the money you will save on insurance on a uk spec will more than cover the extra cost of the car infact will probly even save you money ........ just a thoguh;)

Ok a normal TT will set you back £6.5k upwards J-spec and UK spec this has 326 bhp (ish) stock

A N/A will set you back £4k-5k and up to £8k for a stunner this has 220 bhp (ish) stock, you do get N/A-T which are single but don't see them coming up for sale that often and to convert one will cost say 6k for a good N/A then maybe upto £6k for a turbo kit.

Now a single will set you back more than likely £10k+ aim for around £12k and have about 450 bhp (ish)

I think you really need to re look at your budget when comparing a N/A to a single the difference is about £5k-6k

PS these are all estimates

I really dont get how the insurance can vary so much between uk and jap. I know that with most places it does, but there are places out there that insure both cars for the same price.

that my friend are insrance companies for you (not slaging any of at the mo !!!!!!!!!)

Guest nickjohn

Thanks for the replies

I'm 18 but I have insurance that covers me on ANY private cars that arnt registered in my name, the supra will be registered in my dads name. So it makes no difference insuring a UK or J-spec car for me. I have a budget of around 4-5k... thats why I'm looking for J-spec N/A! :D

j spec NA...manual.... i might know of one for sale :D

welcome mate the NA is a good car to run and isnt too bad on costs to give you an idea, my NA did 110 miles to £20 of fuel. Tyres are a common size so can be picked up easily and not to bad in price for size of them.

Oil changes are less often but cheap anyway and same with spark plugs.

Thanks for the replies

I'm 18 but I have insurance that covers me on ANY private cars that arnt registered in my name, the supra will be registered in my dads name. So it makes no difference insuring a UK or J-spec car for me. I have a budget of around 4-5k... thats why I'm looking for J-spec N/A! :D

I don't think you can be the main driver of the car with that kind of cover though. This has been covered before IIRC.

I don't think you can be the main driver of the car with that kind of cover though. This has been covered before IIRC.

You can be a main driver but not the policy holder as I done this for 5 years on my Fathers policy, Directline also give named drivers NCD now but dunno if thats with any catches.

i really can't see that insurance pulling through, it's gotta be a scam.

lets hope not, i can see how it may work, if you take 50% of the insurance market which you will. then the company will be secure. Also he'll attract more customers because people will get bigger engine cars and go with them as cost will be cheapest.