The mkiv Supra Owners Club

yo

Dave Henshall

Welcome to the forum mate and i hope you enjoy your stay ;) pretty new to these parts myself. Lots of friendly like minded individuals who like taking the P**S from time to time so enjoy :p hope ya get ya jap car mate :eyebrows: not long had mine and it's been nothing short of near sideways fun!!! My first rear wheel drive car, so ya can imagine how many stained pair of undercrackers ya may need to take the laundry, for fear of ruining ya washing machine :trophy:

Andy

so whats the going rate for a tidy UK spec TT with a few tweaks, (pipe, chip etc) i'm after an auto in silver or black.

The UK's do demand a premium, I'd budget £9-10k at least. Imports can be had for less but they tend to cost a lot more to insure (damn ripoff insurance companies). The UK cars don't come up for sale very often as there's only a few hundred left. Also, don't be put off with higher mielage, provided its been regularly serviced they can do mega miles (300k+).

Just a note - you can't 'chip' a supra. The 1st level of upgrade for a TT is known as 'BPU' (Basic performance upgrade). It involves a few basic part changes and a boost controller but will see a reliable 400bhp. I would say a majority of the TT's on the club are BPU now.

Good luck in your search.

thanks homer,

are there not companies the do remapped ecus though, not a chip in the cossie sense but a whole new processor/map setup that is soldered onto the board ?

so what is involved with BPU, decat, pipe, air filter and turn the boost up ?

ive read a bit on fuel cut defencers, now forgive my ignorance, but are these the same type as they used to be ? ie you fit it inbetween the aif flow meter and the ecu and it changes the signal from the airflow meter when running more boost to tell the ecu it isnt to stop it fuel cutting..? if so, 1 glaring question here coming from evos and cossies, if the ecu 'thinks' its not getting as much air ,it wont fuel accordingly and surely yuo will run dangerously lean.... or do the new ones also enrichen the fueling external to the ecu aswell - linked to the new airflow signal?

are there not companies the do remapped ecus though, not a chip in the cossie sense but a whole new processor/map setup that is soldered onto the board ?

BIG subject here, something which would best be addressed in the tech section. Its one of the most expensive (and most difficult) parts of serious modification. However for BPU it's simply not needed. You only need to do this if you're going for big turbi upgrades (450bhp+)

I'll try and summarise - There are basically two types of ECU mods you can do.

- Piggyback (An aftermarket ECU much is spliced into the existing loom to modify signals the stock ECU. These are not necessary for stock of hybrid turbo's, but are essential for single/big twin upgrades). Generally they cost between £300 and £700 plus mapping at £300-£600 and fitting

- Standalone (Full ECU replacement with aftermarket unit, I.e. AEM). Cost for ECU around £850 - £1500, mapping £500-£1500 and fitting

so what is involved with BPU, decat, pipe, air filter and turn the boost up ?

Yes, more or less. For a UK spec you'll need:

- Full service (engine must be in good condition with fresh filters, fluids, etc)

- Double decatt

- Aftermarket cat-back

- Fuel cut defender

- Stock UK pump is good, but as its 10 yrs old its best to renew

- Colder plugs (e.g ik22)

- Boost controller (boost can be raised to 1.2 bar which is considered the safe limit, though the UK turbos can handle much more. Most will tell you the turbo is beyond its efficiency range at more than this so anymore than 1.3 bar is pointless)

Aftermarket air filters are not recommended on these cars, they don't like hot air from the engine bay. The stock system is good for 500bhp or so.

ive read a bit on fuel cut defencers, now forgive my ignorance, but are these the same type as they used to be ? ie you fit it inbetween the aif flow meter and the ecu and it changes the signal from the airflow meter when running more boost to tell the ecu it isnt to stop it fuel cutting..? if so, 1 glaring question here coming from evos and cossies, if the ecu 'thinks' its not getting as much air ,it wont fuel accordingly and surely yuo will run dangerously lean.... or do the new ones also enrichen the fueling external to the ecu aswell - linked to the new airflow signal?

The system is a little more sophisticated, but safer. The stock ECU cuts fuel if slightly more than stock boost levels are exceeded (0.8 bar I believe). An FCD splices a couple of wires on the stock ECU to raise this limit (or remove it completely dependant on which one you buy).

The stock ECU 'learns' how much fuel to supply so will not run lean until fuel injetor supply is surpassed. With a UK car this is impossible to do with stock or hybrid turbos (The 550cc's are plenty).

ive read the article on the greddy fuel cut defenser....

it does axactly what i thought - which is ok - BUT my question is HOW does the ecu keep the AFR correct when the engine is working hard ' on boost' when its only fuellng for 0.8 bar boost say... i know its got closed loop fuelling with the o2 sensor BUT surely that is only a narrow band sensor for keeping the ARF right when at idle or on cruise - when at WOT conditions, surely the ecu needs more inputs than a fixed (simulated) airflow voltage? do they have a MAP sensor aswell as a MAF sensor?