The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The search is now a DESPERATE one

Guest huwt4ng

Guest huwt4ng

Hi,

This is a plea from a soon to be supra owner who may not become one if he doesn't get the following. Let me explain. I live in a village which is nice enough, not a problem. But...Occasionally there are a few "chavs" who choose to venture into the wilderness out of pure interest and these are the people I would hate to find my supra sat on my drive and decide to key it. As my car will be off the road for a period time, I am now desperate to find insurance that will cover me just for my supra to sit on my drive. It is not much to ask. So plz plz plz does anyone know of any companies that will offer this "off road insurance"??????? Please please try and help or I may not get my supra!!!!!! put urself in my position!!! ARRRRRRRR.

Please help,

Huwt4ng. :search:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

According to my wife (old timer at Liverpool Victoria) third-party fire and theft is the minimum you would be offered. Its still a car whether its moving or not, and subject to possible damage / theft just the same. If it was me, I'd still insure it fully comp, just in case a roof slate blows off and imbeds itself in the roof or similar Final Destination type mishaps.

Guest huwt4ng

Lol. I have considered it. But being 17, I kno i kno, please dont give me any more abuse on that note, iv had enough already, i am getting quotes of 8000 for a car im not intending to drive for a while. Do you think i could add it to my house insurance?

No, I don't think you could add it to your household insurance.

£8000??? Is that telling you any sort of message?

I think your buildings insurance, as opposed to contents, will cover damage from bits falling off your house.

I've had seveal vehicles off road long term now, and have never insured them. If you live in a quiet vilage, I wouldn't bother, just immoblize the vehicle.

8k for insurance. You could by another Supra with that kind of money. Why do you need one in such a hurry? TBH with you, I'd say save up you money, get a few years of NCBs behind you and then buy one.

If you insure one for 8k and wreck it most insurance companies will only give you book value anyway. You'll then not only be down on the Supe but out of pocket on all that insurance.

Wait a few years and get one of Jurgens late-model cars once you pass 21. Honestly, they are great cars but not 8k of insurance great.

Lol. I have considered it. But being 17, I kno i kno, please dont give me any more abuse on that note, iv had enough already, i am getting quotes of 8000 for a car im not intending to drive for a while. Do you think i could add it to my house insurance?

WO there.[sHOCK][/sHOCK]

Mate I hate to say this but to be honest you'll end up killing yourself. I'm assuming this will be one of your first cars as your 17. At your age and relative inexperience (not being patronising in any way there), you just cant be prepared for the sort of rear wheel power that the supra chucks out. Even the n/a version can be a handfull in the wet. I owned one before getting my tt and I'm sure a lot of the n/a guys can back me up on this.

Best advice I could give to you is to leave it a while and get some miles under your belt. Get a bit of experience driving some less powerfull rear wheel drive cars, if anything just to see how they act when driven.

Not trying to put you off getting a supra mate but the last thing any of us on here would want to see is that you've stuffed it somewhere and come out bad or even worse.

You got time on your side mate. use it wisely. The supra will still be here when your ready.

Take care.

Good luck

I agree. 17 is too young to own a car like this. You need a few years "normal" driving experience under your belt first, then you will be ready for one. Plus, with a few years NCB behind you the insurance will take a bit of a drop. I can speak from experienced because im a fairly young driver myself (24, 23 when i bought my first one), and im really happy i didnt get one any sooner. Paying that much money and then being soooo worried (which believe me you do) about someone keying/stealing it does sometimes take the fun out of it.

I was advised to get a n/a version first before going for the tt(which i've always wanted). Great idea as it gave me an idea of what the handling was like. I learnt to be able to feel when the back end was gonna go etc. That sort of experience was/is invaluable when going for a big power car. My advicve to is to do the same mate. I know the car is only as fast a your right foot but as i said. there's no substitute for experience.

Jesus i sound like my dad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and until I can afford the insurance. lol.

Why shell out 7-8 grand for a car thats going to sit on your drive anyway. If your not going to insure it, then you obviously wont be driving it!

Don't buy the supra yet, get a 2.8 capri of e-bay for £500 instead, drive it all through the winter and keep saving your cash. Then if you and your capri are still in one piece next summer you'll be ready to go :)

Dude, I really think you need to consider some other car for at least 1 year. It's not just the 1 years NCB that helps, it's the 1 years driving experience. Run a few quotes through online somewhere and see what I mean, your quote will be halved.

As for off the road insurance then there is something out there that's dirt cheap. I had a Celica before that was off the road for a few months. I rang my insurance (Tesco) and told them it would be locked up in the garage in storage for a few months. They offered to reduce my premiums from £100+ per month to just £13 a month - can't remember what policy they offered but it kept my NCB running and covered me for accidental damage (such as a paint tin falling off garage shelf etc etc)

You'll need to look into it but it is possible. Try giving Tesco a ring, although maybe this kinda policy is only available to existing customers??

hi, you seem a really nice person, who love's Supra's and dedicated to owning one, but is this the ideal way to go about it. 17 is young to own a car like that (not saying you can't handle it) with all the costs involved.

Everyone has sort of said the same thing, costs, being able to handle it, insurance costs let alone getting covered at a reasonable cost, etc..

it's one thing to own the car and keep it on driveway to use it. and also do work on it to 'mod' it. but if you just keep it sitting on the driveway, and are worried about the local area, for people damaging it with malicious intent, it's not going to be too much fun.

Also, if you can't drive it, and someone does damage it, you will have spent time on the work, and never had the pleasure of driving the car. after i got mine, for the first week or so, each time i heard a loud bang outside, or other noise, i kept checking to see the Supra was ok.

don't forget it is not just getting something replaced by the insurance company, it is the time you spent to get it to that condition, all the hard work and doing it again, if something bad happens.

i really think it would be best to wait at least a year or two, at the minimum. get something else and build up good NCB, it will make world of difference in the long run. building up driving experience will be so valuable when you finally drive a Supra.

the costs of Supra's are changing all the time, so the money you save now, can probably get a higher spec model later on, rather than having to cope with insurance and buying the car as well at this time.

hi, you seem a really nice person, who love's Supra's and dedicated to owning one, but is this the ideal way to go about it. 17 is young to own a car like that (not saying you can't handle it) with all the costs involved.

Everyone has sort of said the same thing, costs, being able to handle it, insurance costs let alone getting covered at a reasonable cost, etc..

it's one thing to own the car and keep it on driveway to use it. and also do work on it to 'mod' it. but if you just keep it sitting on the driveway, and are worried about the local area, for people damaging it with malicious intent, it's not going to be too much fun.

Also, if you can't drive it, and someone does damage it, you will have spent time on the work, and never had the pleasure of driving the car. after i got mine, for the first week or so, each time i heard a loud bang outside, or other noise, i kept checking to see the Supra was ok.

don't forget it is not just getting something replaced by the insurance company, it is the time you spent to get it to that condition, all the hard work and doing it again, if something bad happens.

i really think it would be best to wait at least a year or two, at the minimum. get something else and build up good NCB, it will make world of difference in the long run. building up driving experience will be so valuable when you finally drive a Supra.

the costs of Supra's are changing all the time, so the money you save now, can probably get a higher spec model later on, rather than having to cope with insurance and buying the car as well at this time.

How nice are you!!!!!:thumbs:

Dude seriously consider a mark 3 model. They are a good starter and if you find a 2jz-gte model most of the things you learn about the car will be applicable to the mark 4. The insurance is a pittance in comparison as well. They don't look all bad either.

http://showoffyourcar.com/cars/TOYOTA/16994.jpg

http://showoffyourcar.com/cars/TOYOTA/16992.jpg

You will get insurance for this car and you will actually be able to drive it.