The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Flash car wash

jackso11

Has anyone tried one of those 'Flash' car wash guns?

I was thinking about getting one today. They seem to have some kind of 'auto dry' stuff that means you don't have to chamois? anyone got any reviews?

I was thinking it might be good if it works, to give your car a real good was and polish every few weeks and use this in between?

i got 1 and use it from time to time, the shampoo stuff you spray on doesn't seem to actually do anything.

The autodry function does actually work sort-of, once applied it doesn't dry and faster than normal but does leave a streak-free finish.

In summary, don't waste your money.

My bro used one of these for about 2 months on his porsche. Yes it does stop you having to dry it after, but he will never use it again. The paintwork on his car, which is an 88 911, is immaculate, it never looked the same after cleaning it with this Flash stuff. One day he decided to clean the car normally with a mitt and chamois. The crap that came off the car was unreal!

Dont waste your time or money mate

I have had one, it seemed to work great. After recently doing a full cut and polish I could see how much muck was getting "stuck" to the car - it feels sort of stickyish when you dry off.

Short term it seemed fine, 8/10 but long term stay clear, 0/10.

Shaun.

Me and Vicki use one of these. The shampoo is crap and we dont bother with that. Instead we use the Meguires shampoo in a bucket like normal but just use the Flash gun to rinse and then the auto dry option. Basically all this does is de-ionise the water so you dont need to use the chamoire. I think it is brilliant as it doesn't leave any streak marks whatsoever. Saves us a lot of time when were trying to wash 3 cars whilst also trying to keep our 2 year old happy at the same time.

So shampoo bad.

Autodry thingy good :)

Mark

This is how a panel looks after using the following products...

1. Sonax Car Wash with two buckets and a sheepskin mitt.

2. Meguairs Clay Bar (Pulls all the contaminents out the paint)

3. Poorboys SSR2.5 (Scratch and swirl removal)

4. 1z Wax Polish soft (Fills in all the really minor swirls)

5. 1z Hard Glanz (Sealant over the top of the wax)

6. Poorboys Natty's Blue (Great for getting the flake to pop)

7. Poorboys Bold and Bright on the tyres

8. Meguairs Tyre and Trim dressing on the black plastics

Not bad for a fiesta

small1-002.jpg

small1-003.jpg

Ok here's how I clean mine to a mirror finish. First you need at least 3 Meguiars Gold Class micro fibre towels (Halfrauds £11.99 each), one for the cleaning and one for the drying, and the other for... the buffing after polishing!

Don't start this in full sun, especially on a black car!

As long as your car isn't too dirty, use some AutoGlym conditioning shampoo or equivalent with a bucket of water using towel number one to clean the car.

Leave a short while for some of the initial water to dry, then take towel number two and damp it a little with some clean water. Use the towel to completely wipe over the car, wringing out excess water, until the car is virtually dry. This doesn't take very long I assure you.

Using a polishing pad, just go over all the paintwork with your favourite resin polish, AutoGlym or PoorBoy etc., and leave to dry.

Then this is the clever bit, which I only discovered on sunday...

With a damp towel number three, use that to buff off the car polish. You will not believe how easy it is, and saves all that extra effort trying to get rid of smears and NO swirl marks.

I have just updated my garage with some new photos, of the recent side skirts and rear spats I had attached last week. Photos were taken on sunday just after I cleaned polished it after it had been in a very dusty bodyshop for over a week. Check it out.

Then this is the clever bit, which I only discovered on sunday...

With a damp towel number three, use that to buff off the car polish. You will not believe how easy it is, and saves all that extra effort trying to get rid of smears and NO swirl marks.

Yup, I use a cloth and some Poorboy's Quick Detailer... meg's also do one... acts as a lubricant and water repeller at the same time, makes it a lot easier...