The mkiv Supra Owners Club

internals

Guest blownbytwins

Do you mean the maximum they can take?

Thats a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question and the answer really depends on who you speak to.

The generally accepted figure here is 600bhp at the flywheel, however there are many in the US that run much more than this - up to 800bhp.

I know that last month Greg (Turbofit) dyno'd his car at 900+bhp at the wheels - on stock internals! But last weekend it threw a rod so this was obviously too much.

Guest Terry S

few points:

#1 Tuning. If tuned incorrectly it wont take 300bhp let alone 800bhp

#2 Length of time. There is a huge difference between an 11 second 1/4m or 3-4 second dyno pull and longevity in a daily driver.

#3 Fuel quality. A huge factor for reliable power.

#4 AFR's. I wouldnt recommend too lean AFR's if you are doing sustained pulls. 12's make nice dyno figures, but are not good for longevity

#5 Boost. You can only run X boost with X ignition timing on X fuel. Don't believe the BS you read.

A few of us came to the conclusion that 600 FW bhp was pretty much the safe max for a regularly driven road car ( assuming you tune them well and use good fuel). Trailer Queens are a different kettle of fish.

I know that last month Greg (Turbofit) dyno'd his car at 900+bhp at the wheels - on stock internals! But last weekend it threw a rod so this was obviously too much.

Yes it spun two bearrings but that was after nearly two years of hard running.

It was nice to find out what a worn stock engine could take though.

Also before Dan came on board no one noticed that the Rev limit on the AEM was at 11000 RPM so she had at least 7 passes at the pod at 9K and above.

TBH in the states there are claims of 1000hp on stock internals, but they never say how long they stayed together for.

What is the most for a stock road going engine, does anyone really know ?

I would think for safety 650hp, but hey there are a few stockers out there above that figure that have been going strong for years, it all depends I guess on how good the engine is before you start to bolt on the bits to increase it,

A sensible amount of power for the road is, as Terry says, around the 550-600bhp. Traction issues become a major factor above that, as well as drivability.

Lucky for us, the stock block appears (taking all Terry's points into account) to be able to take that level of power. I've seen a good few single-d up cars and they all appear to be still holding together after a couple of years.

If you want more power than that you need to make sure you know what you are getting into and what your aims (and budget!) are.

-Ian