The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Insurance Write Off!!! Avoid!!!

R3DG3CKO ROB

Hi Guys

Great website :)

I drove down to Reigate in Surry on Saturday to look at a Dark Red n/a Aero Supra.

Car looked great, roof had a bad squeek when driving but that was it. However I started to go through the great check list from this site, straight away the guy said he didn't have the log book!

To cut a long story short, I did a check with the RAC and it turns out that the car was written off in 2005!

Really annoying and a wasted 250 mile round trip but at least I didn't drive away with a lemon. Thought I'd let you guys know. The police don't seem to give a sh*t. They just suggested telling Trading Standards.

Found another car to look at now though, so I'm not too gutted :)

Few more details on the car

1993 - L824 XLM - Red n/a Aero

28/06/2005 - Category D Insurance write off - So it was repairable but cost would be greater than the value of the car. When asked, the dealer said it had no history and hadn't even had any work done.

I think now that the squeaky roof panel was prob because the chassis was twisted.

The "Dealer" is a guy called Dorian Reed but the Car was being driven by his very large business partner called Malcolm who scarily resembled his rotweiller... :rolleyes: The car was at his house - Off Gaton Rd in Reigate.

going to look at another car tonight which looks much more genuine, so wish me luck.

:)

i saw that car or it is a massive coincidence.. the car was pre-facelift red aero with red rear lights or some thing else red on it if i remember, it was in 2005 and there was hardly any proper damage, the rear screen was busted and i think it had damage down one side but not much, i was after bits off it

i think it had the old style bomex front end. aftermarket exhaust.

if it looks mint id get it checked over, it could be totally different car but its worth a shot.

id like to see a photo to see weatrher it is the one, the brakers that i saw in was in bromsgrove, stoke prior.

steve

hi i have just got a cat d and insurance aint to bad and the damage was only pas door and sill it was easy to repair so dont be too put off just take ur time before buyin

It was more the fact that they said there was no history and said they didn't have the log book. They obviously had it but were trying to flog it for as much as possible cos i'd have seen the details on the log book.

I'd have been happy to consider it if I knew the truth but the fact that the guy was obviously trying to deceive me for some reason was what really put me off.

Good news anyway, I drove up to Sheffield to have a look at another and fell in love with it :) Mileage is high and it's got a few paint chips on the bonnet but I am now the proud owner of a dark red 1993 n/a Aero :) :) :)

The only major problem is that the engine management light keeps coming on - the guy said there's a problem with the air flow meter. I'll stick a post in technical to see if anyone can help with this tho.