The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone ever sold a car through Autotrader..

scooby_doo_do

Well, my car's going up for sale soon as i want to buy something else slightly newer thats unusual... Thinking of ultima, NSX or something completly different!.

Anyway, i've never sold a car through autotrader as i just had a load of people turn up wanting a test drive.. So what would you reccomend the best place to sell a car is ?

Tried it once, and got pestered with "chancers" phoning you to tell you they had a list of potential buyers, all wanting to buy your car. All you had to do was send them £90+ and they would send you the list. I told them to send me the list and if one of their potential customers bought my car, I would then send them £90- surprisingly they said "no deal".But other than that -no problem

good luck

Ian

We have an excuse list as work, for after the test drives.

Ive got to ask the wife.

What time do you shut.

Ive got one more to look at.

I will phone the insurance.

Ive seen another just wondered what they drive like.

Is it diesel i need diesel, (no and it wasnt before you took it out)

ETC ETC..

But usually we qualify them (make sure they are in a position to buy before test drive) mainly on dearer cars.

Im putting my GTR skyline on pitch next week so that will be fun!.

yeah, stuck mine on there, someone offfered me a 400bhp rx7 in swap..i laughed when i read his advert and it said "new engine, should be another 20k until rebuild needed..." so i thought i'd pass on that...

RX-7 engines are only good for about 30k in standard form......:D

i got my Supra from an Importer who advertised on Autotrader. so for me i had no worries doing that. but not sure if i would want to have hassle of selling through there, having seen some of the things said about A/T here.

this was before i really knew about this forum.

autotrader has been pretty good for me too. i wouldnt take an add out in the magazine though, just take out an add on the website. its about £15 as opposed to about £45ish.when ever i asked someone where they saw the car for sale it was always on the website.

Tried to sell my Civic Type-R on Autotrader recently, most of the calls I recieved were canvassers ('We have a buyer lined up but we cant put you in contact unless you pay us', 'We have a publication we can list your car in but only if you pay us first', etc). I also had a couple of scam attempts: -

- First came and took a brief look at the car before producing a bankers draft for the list amount. I insisted that I wouldnt hand over the keys and paperwork until I had paid the bankers draft into my account. They agreed to go down to the bank but stayed in their car while I went into the bank. It was spotted as a fake bankers draft by the bank staff and when I went outside the two men had left.

- Second one wanted to pay cash but wasnt willing to take a 5 minute trip to the bank to make sure the cash went in. Not completely sure if this was a scam attempt but I cant see what the problem would have been if it wasnt, I cant really scam them when they know where I live ...

Out of the few genuine enquiries that I had, only one is still going as the guy hasnt had a chance to come check the car over yet.

Overall I was pretty unimpressed with the results I got from Autotrader and if I need to relist the car again I will instead put it up for sale in owners forums like this one and places like Pistonheads.

I was thinking about doing just this shortly, I suppose cheap cars attract some right scumbags.

Yeah, you could say that :(

Nutters more like :shock:

TBH, I've sold a lot of cars from there over the years, but this was such a nasty experience, that the amount of money involved just didn't come close to being worth it :(

Autotrader seems to be getting a little 'bad press' on this thread. I've personally never had any problems with them whatsoever. I've bought and sold at least 20 cars on there since I passed my test, with the exception of my Supra which I got through Ebay.

A lot of the bad things mentioned on here could happen regardless of where you placed your ad. I think what CW said about your car being cheap is obviously key so if you're wanting the price you deserve then maybe AT isn't the best place.

Either way, good luck with the sale! Gorgeous looking Sup!:D

When I was selling my Volvo 440 I had a guy ring up about an 850. Apparently I'd promised it to him and when I said I had a 440 not an 850 he got really abusive and threatened me with violence for selling the 850 from under him.

Then there was the guy who rang me three times on the same mobile claiming that he'd buy it for scrap. Each bid was £100 less than the last and each time he swore that he hadn't called before.

Thanks Autotrader.