The mkiv Supra Owners Club

supra owners - we're not tree huggers, are we

hogmaw

One thing that is continually ignored by this forum is the effect our 3 litre gas guzzling machines have on the environment. Especially those of us with decat!

Now I'm not preaching, I have a decat supra myself, and there is nothing like wasting precious petrol putting the pedal to the metal for no other reason than to have fun. If my girlfriend knew my fuel bills and that I had no cats, I'd be on the couch for sure.

So does anybody care about the environment? The only thing I do is recycle my wine bottles. Yet my conscience is clear, despite all the stuff we hear about all the time on this subject. Is that bad?

We had a client once who criticised us for not having a company car sharing scheme. He was soon to take delivery of a yacht that needed 20,000 litres of diesel to do 400 miles at 40 mph. A conflict of interests that sums up the pleasure / pain aspect of caring for the environments future yet having a performance toy. We sell around 250 / 300 similar diesel guzzlers a year, and there are thousands of similar boatbuilding companies around the world. Then I think of all the buses, lorries, aeroplanes, trains etc, that are running around almost empty of load / people and my 6000 miles a year in the Supra doesnt seem so bad.

One thing that is continually ignored by this forum is the effect our 3 litre gas guzzling machines have on the environment. Especially those of us with decat!

Now I'm not preaching, I have a decat supra myself, and there is nothing like wasting precious petrol putting the pedal to the metal for no other reason than to have fun. If my girlfriend knew my fuel bills and that I had no cats, I'd be on the couch for sure.

So does anybody care about the environment? The only thing I do is recycle my wine bottles. Yet my conscience is clear, despite all the stuff we hear about all the time on this subject. Is that bad?

Yes it is very bad. Remove your decats at once and give them to me ;)

Well as long F1 cars (4 mpg) are gonna blast around tracks all over the globe, i'm not gonna worry about what my TT chucking out :)

There's slightly fewer of those travelling for a little less time.

The proven biggest menace is airplanes, not cars.

I do recycle when I can, the other week I went to the The Centre for Alternative Technology in Wales. That was really interesting.

Guest Griffo

I agree with the plane thing, what with it being true :/

It's terrible that they hardly ever seem to mention it on the news when talking about how evil cars that are over 1.0 are and how many kittens Jebus has to kill when we use one. Though they did mention it the other day on lovely(shit) BBC news during the "£1800 car tax for evil kitten killing 'gas'(petrol) guzzlers" article. Then never again!

I recall them mentioning .5 tonnes per idiot to fly that idiot...somewhere...if only flights cost as much as they did 15-20 years ago(ish :)) then there'd be much less air traffic! Poor people never used to go on holiday (I didn't!) but now they all go to Spain...the english parts...sod off....them..gits.

Ok newbie rant over.

EDIT: Oh yes, and the Colonials, that Bush...Jeez Louise

I to sometimes have a little niggle about our de-cat TT and the enviroment in the future (think it may come with being 50 and a grandad) :(

I justify it to myself by comparing the little damage we do (compared with everybody that's been mentioned above) and the HUGE enjoyment we get from blasting about in it.

If Tony B and his mates get thier way, my new grandson will only be able to "poddle about" in an environmentaly friendly car that runs on carrot juice or something.

It's my duty to have a stupidly powerful car and flaunt the law on occassions, just to have some great stories to tell him ...:)

I am a firm believer that the world does this, ie develops resources get used and then it all ends, then it starts over again. We are lead to believe that this has all happened before, ice ages, dinosaurs etc, so maybe all the fuel etc isn't really anything to do with it, or perhaps isn't as relevant as we all think and that inevitably we will run out and earth will cease to home living beings... until next time...

But yes I do worry about it ;) :D

I always think about this - but then see the people who actually don't look after their cars, and drive along the motorway doing either ridiculously slow of fast speeds, kicking out plumes of black/blue/white smoke behind them. Then i think of the fact that even IF I stopped having fun in my car and used a pushbike, nobody else would follow, so the impact i'd have would be pretty much nothing.

Unless there is a mass ban on petrol guzzling cars globally (don't forget the USA do FAR more damage than the UK does with resepect to pollution from cars) then I'm not going to worry.

Its a shame, as I bet 60% of the population all think like that - if we all pulled together we might actually have an impact!

I think its a little late to do anything about it now anyway - should have done something years/centuries ago :(

I dont think the 100-150 miles a week I do in the Supra has that much of an impact, not considering I know some salesmen that do upwards of 2k a week in 4 litre BMWs and Mercs.

I am sure that the mass of 4x4s that descend on the school around the corner from me every morning generate more per vehicle per week than I do in my Supra. Not to mention the millions of people who commute to work alone in their cars every day.

My part for the environment is being done by downgrading my every day car into something more economical.

It’s very easy to say that other people or other forms of transport are doing more damage to the environment than we are in our gas guzzlers but this pollution problem is about everyone. Supra’s (especially those without cats!) are bad for the environment full stop but it’s terrible to say but I don’t really care. If the government are that bothered make public transport cheaper and I might think about using it.

Its strange the thought of telling my grandkids that once upon a time we used to put this stuff called 'optimax-a strange smelling liquid' into our 'cars' and drive around for 'fun'.

By then they will have to walk around and not shuffling above 1 mph (for fear of alerting the noise pollution police) and getting charged for the amount of air you use.lol

I always think about the particulates pumped out by all the diesel company cars out there and the only reason they chose diesel was that the government made it the only option with the cheaper company car tax. So the government dont really care about the environment so Im not guilty about have a decatted car...:)

I do have to admit I wont let my children near the exhaust on my Supra when it first starts up....

JB