The mkiv Supra Owners Club

possible pair of dead turbos, any advice please

KaoriFan

the other day when it was eceptionally hot, i started the Supra, and got the grey/blue smoke as soon as it started.

before then 1st turbo always was audible and then spooled up around 1500 or so. and 2nd one was always around 4000, just as it should be. and you always got the kick when they cut in and flew.

since the other day, 1st turbo seems to be audible still, and it gets to 2100rpm before it seems to make any difference, but it doesn't have any kick anymore, so guess its just a gear change point.

2nd turbo doesn't seem to cut in at 4000rpm anymore. i went up A21 and Tunbridge Wells d/c and i accelerated from low down to speed limit and hit 6200rpm, but just felt like normal acceleration through the range.

so, really need to know any thoughts on this. also, what kind of up to date prices turbos are new/2nd hand, and how much to fit them.

or maybe go for hybrids and get them fitted, if i have to change one's that are dead. not looking to go single, due to costs atm.

i can't do the work myself, and not sure where i want to get it done.

thanks in advance,

Ian

agree with loopy there....if the turbos were on their way out, shouldnt you hear the infamous turbo whine.

I've heard this said before? So what does it sound like? as mine sound like a jet engine on spool up but they seem to work fine:( Is there any sound clips of this turbo wine you speak of?

cheers for the quick replies :D

i am not sure on the 'turbo whine', but soon as i turn ignition on, there is this high pitched mechanical 'whirring' sound, sort of like a jet engine sound, so maybe thats it. it is fairly quiet up until you get to 1500rpm or so, then gets louder. i have always had this sound from first having Supra. only thing i notice now, it seems quieter up to 1500 since the other day, where it was always slightly louder before

may sound a stupid question, but would i hear the turbo whine, even with probs with boost leak, or hoses?

also, i dont have boost gauge. so need to sort that out

i have no clue on car technical stuff, but want to learn more as i go along. have learnt alot so far from forum and many here. but its different to take something off a page, and do the practical.

i do not have the Supra here, as it is in having wheels lazer aligned again, and some other work done which needed to be corrected from work done in relation to when i got the car. I needed to bring back the other car that was with the garage and was going to collect the Supra this week sometime.

is this going to be expensive to rectify?

thanks once again

I'm pretty sure you won't get the death wine on Jspec turbo's, only the steel UK/US ones. The Jspecs tend to blow the blades to bits but I've not heard of them whining before.

I would say thats its most likely opne of the vacume pipes has split or come off stopping the turbo's from pre-spooling.

Guest dee_rz

Sounds like maybe turbo oil seals as bad as the turbos going to be honest if this is the case, lots of smoke is a bad sign if it's more than usual sorry to be the bearer of bad news, don't quote me on that just yet.

Guest dee_rz
I'm pretty sure you won't get the death wine on Jspec turbo's, only the steel UK/US ones. The Jspecs tend to blow the blades to bits but I've not heard of them whining before.

I would say thats its most likely opne of the vacume pipes has split or come off stopping the turbo's from pre-spooling.

Agreed, or if as you say about the smoke etc i'd say oil seals

thanks imi,

checked the sound clip, thankfully my Supra doesn't sound like that.

closest sound is to a set of turbines, which i suppose would be the correct sound.

will have a read through the other suggestion here

once again thanks :)

also check out the FAQ on the mkiv.com site....very useful info.

Stem seals+slight turbo seals me thinks. engine at full operating temp and idleing for five mins:( CLICKY

cheers, thanks for the link will check that out in a while :D

will definitely look into what you suggest, i will ring garage and get them to check it tomorrow.

if only the car was here.

Just to add to the above posts and perhaps help diagnose the issue further, when does the smoke occur:

- On startup

- When on boost (i.e. 4krpm)

- When in traffic

- All the time

Also, is the smoke black or blue?

hi hi,

it happened once the other week, for about 1/2 second on startup. then it happened again same thing 1/2 second at startup on that really hot day a week ago, just as i pressed the accelerator to reverse up driveway, but was only just about idle speed.

other than that it hasn't done it again.

but now the Supra just seems to accelerate through the gears, right up to 6000+ rpm, but i don't feel any turbo response. it's an auto, but you just get steady speed build-up, not the kick into the seat, like before

If its only on start-up then its likely to be stem seals. Mine has done it since I bought the car - now covered 30k miles over 2.5 years and its not got any worse!

However the turbo issue is something else. I think its highly unlikely both turbo's will have gone at the same time, plus even if the oil seals are gone, the turbo's will still work (i.e. generate boost).

I suspect this is going to be something simple like a boost leak or a split/disconnected pipe from the sequential system. Easy to fix just a PITA to find!

I suspect this is going to be something simple like a boost leak or a split/disconnected pipe from the sequential system. Easy to fix just a PITA to find!

:yeahthat: Fitting a boost gauge is going to make it much easier to get to the bottom of the problem. If it feels like the first turbo is ok but the second doesn't come on, start with the IACV and EGCV setup.

hope its something nice and easy to fix, its not really any fun not being able ot use the car like i want to.

i hope i am ok with turbo's, i can hear them spooling up, but they don't provide any function. so if its a boost leak, or hose prob, going to be happy.

if its not, then i have to make choice between replacing them, for the same, or going for hybrids (can't afford single atm), and then figure out the costs. as i need to BPU the car as well.

:yeahthat: Fitting a boost gauge is going to make it much easier to get to the bottom of the problem. If it feels like the first turbo is ok but the second doesn't come on, start with the IACV and EGCV setup.

I also have similar boost probs and first turbo spools ok but not the 2d.

What is IACV and EGCV?