The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Couple of bodyshop type queries

Muffleman

First of all, being the ripe old age of 32 now I'm not quite as eager as I used to be when it comes to spending a whole saturday polishing the car(s). So, I was thinking about getting a machine polisher. Can't be too expensive as I can't justify it, it's only gonna be domestic use. But I'm not gonna get one of those crappy twin handled 3rpm Halfords jobbies :D

Is this any good ? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRADE-POLISHER-SANDER-soft-start-6-speed-FREE-KIT_W0QQitemZ230017144402QQihZ013QQcategoryZ30923QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem, or this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Car-Body-Polisher-Mop-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ260016329809QQihZ016QQcategoryZ72201QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Or is there something else you can recommend ?

Also, the Trial Supra isn't the Supra red colour, Trial have said that the paint code is this:

NTK98-1330 609

for VOLVO or SAAB

Does that make sense ? Is this a colour ?

Cheers

Matt

Really ? Oh crap. Well I thought I'd keep it away from the Trial supra 'cos of the vinyls, but thought it'd be okay for the other cars.

don't just take my word for it though. Im sure supraloopy will have a bit more experience with these

Ive got the porter cable rotary machine polisher, its great, i use it with meguiars cutting products, it does a great job, its the only one id spend money on unless you can get a makita.

The makita isnt really good for beginers, the porter cable is great for beginners tho, just put it straight on the car no probs, wont burn the paint, it mimicks the hand action really but a lot more quik and never tires out. Will rid your car of fine swirls and scratches and makes deep scratches appear finer!

I wudnt bother with any of the cheap stuff out there, either a porter cable or hand.

Ive got the porter cable rotary machine polisher, its great, i use it with meguiars cutting products, it does a great job, its the only one id spend money on unless you can get a makita.

The makita isnt really good for beginers, the porter cable is great for beginners tho, just put it straight on the car no probs, wont burn the paint, it mimicks the hand action really but a lot more quik and never tires out. Will rid your car of fine swirls and scratches and makes deep scratches appear finer!

I wudnt bother with any of the cheap stuff out there, either a porter cable or hand.

Its the Makita one that i've got. I was given it, not sure which lorry it fell from though:D

If you have no or little exsperiance with these machines BE careful:Pling:

For the beginer I would reccomend an orbital polisher(less chance of killing paint with heat). A rotary polisher is fine if you come off the edge and not onto it(takes alot of practice to master using it quickly) and if you are going for a rotary polisher make sure its a vary speed one so you can build up to speed at your own time;)

As for sponge attachments DO NOT try using a lambswool bonnet, use a fairly hard sponge compound mop head to start and a soft fininshing sponge for the detailing. OH and i don't believe the pic that carlos posted.

seen that before and thats been flatted very well or its a photoshop job.:D Hope this helps pm if you need more help or tips;)

Dave

OH and i don't believe the pic that carlos posted.

seen that before and thats been flatted very well or its a photoshop job.:D Hope this helps pm if you need more help or tips;)

Dave

Dude, pictures like that are all over http://www.detailingworld.co.uk . That was done with Meguires #83 followed by #80.

The Porter Cable is a "random orbiting buffer", so apparently can't burn / damage the paint.