The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Living with speed bumps

Guest welformed

Guest welformed

Question: What's it like in a std Supra?

I ask because there's sh!teload of speed humps where I live. Some are fairly shallow and I'm hoping they won't be a problem, say 4-6 inches high with 12-16 inches of slope, if you get me. Others would simply stop a tank or force a random citizen to break into the council officies and start shooting...

What's the clearance like on the active front wing, or normal front skirt?

Do you find your zorst scrapes?

Keeping it technical: What is the ground clearance of the lowest part of the Supra.

Is it a real struggle or do you not every try, turn round and find another route?

Normal speed humps aren't a problem for a standard Supra, as long as you don't drive over them like a prat!

RSR exhaust has plenty of clearance, mine never grounds out on them :)

Carnt even get on the drive with my car! let along a speed hump but yeah, a standard supra will be fine, altough if you lower the car and get an aftermarket exhaust like the Nur-spec then you will find that the exhaust will scrape

Well - I've got a stock JSpec, and I've never scraped the front, sides, or (original) exhaust on anything. Just to quantify that a bit, I've got;

[+] "From tarmac to bricked road" with 2ft sloped edges from my parking to the road (quite a few of those)

[+] "10 x 3 inch (wxh) irritating bumps" to negotiate at work

[+] "Big square lumps in the middle of the road" going to the gym

[+] "Hopelessly random piles of tarmac" when I need to head up to the hospital

I say 'not scraped on anything' ... not 'hoplessly misjudged the bonnet length near a kerbstone just after buying it' ;)

Not sure about the clearence on the supe, but I can certainly check when I get a minute ...

Guest welformed

Ah so the active front wing is as low as a normal skirt when retracted. Check. Really wasn't thinking of doing more than 2mph over a speed bump. In fact I've been deliberately annoying in other low cars I've had before, by stopping in the middle of the road, getting out and carefully checking with a s0d off queue forming behind me. When they moan I calmly ask them to direct their anger at the council, not me. ;)

Anyone tried negotiating those square humps that you're supposed to drive over with your wheels each side? Usually about 6-8 inches high. Kinda worried I might get beached.