The mkiv Supra Owners Club

GrrrrrKerChusssshhhh VS GrrrrrCh-Ch-Ch-Ch

MarkTheBoy

Ok strange post title,

Dump Valve VS Waste Gate Chatter Valve Thingy

After going to pod last weekend I heard a lot of dump valves... loads and loads.

Now don't get me wrong, I love my SSQV Blow off valve, it makes me grin from ear to ear everytime, but can anyone tell me why some bovs go -

KerChsssshhhh (which sounds cool)

and some go -

Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch (which sounds superb)

(you know what I mean) :nyah:

Any takers?

• 2 months later...
Guest L12A GN

i had the blitz dd on both my civic turbo and my rx7 and both done the fluttering sound ,think it has more to do with ho far your bov is adjusted all the way in makes more of a flutter and all the way out make more of a woosh lol

but if you run no bov you get the same sound which is compressor stall with sounds the berries but aint good for the turbos

i think thats it ....maybe no

Wastegates don't make a noise on lift off...it's always the BOV. Different BOV's sound differently (shock) For instance you can get different fins for the SSQV to make it sounds different.

If you get a sound like that on a race car you're BOV probably can't cope with the amount of air you're trying to dump.

The "ch-ch-ch-ch" noise as it were is the compressed air within the system backing up and flowing back out of the turbos. You generally here this on light 'lift off' where there isn't enough pressure to open the dump valve. You would probably hear this fluttering more if you didn't have a BOV at all but then this could cause turbo stall or damage with high boost.