The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Best base spec / model mkiv Supra for modification?

Pabs

Hey all....

been a while since I posted, but i havent forgotten about these forums!

Hope everyone is well..

I have had a bit of a search, but theres just sooo much to read. But if i've missed a really helpful thread, please post a link in here.

Anyway... on to the question.

My plan is to get a mkiv supra (well obviously :p ) and have it as a second car. I'm planning EVERYTHING before i get it - as i want to get it right :)

My main car will be a day-to-day driver, economical blah blah. But my Supra will be my bit of fun, and will probably be quite highly modified. But they question I have is which base model to start with???

I think I'll end up doing a BIG single turbo conversion, so I guess a TT is the first requirement (i've read these take the conversions better?) and I do really like the idea of an Aero top. But then I like a manual, or perhaps tiptronic gearbox but NOT automatic.

Anyway, this could turn into a very long post.

So, is there any particular base spec thats usually the best to work with and modify, given my comments above? Are Aero's really worth it, or is it just a bit of a gimmick?

I'll be looking at spending around 10k-ish on the car to start with - then modifications over a period of time. I want a MINT supra eventually, so I'll want to iron out any flaws in the one i get...

cheers!

There's only one option imo and thats a TT 6-speed, only available in hardtop tho!

You could get an aero TT in auto but if your planning big single i think your better off with the 6-speed although there is nowt wrong with putting a single on an auto but the 6-speed can take more power, neither box is shabby tho tbh!

I'm planning EVERYTHING before i get it - as i want to get it right

Good point, stick on these forums and you'll learn loads, too many people jump right in and think what they should have done later! Plan well in advance and you will have a sorted supra!:D

I'll be looking at spending around 10k-ish on the car to start with - then modifications over a period of time. I want a MINT supra eventually, so I'll want to iron out any flaws in the one i get...

10k will get you a nice TT 6-speed then as far as further mods are concerned search for BPU , that should do you nicely performance wise until you save up enough for a single turbo conversion!

yeh, unfortunately funds are not available yet.

I am planning well in advance as said, because I don't want to a) get a lemon or b) regret a quick decision.

I love the supra's - I'm one of those people who love the modified supra's (i'm not going to say Fast n furious, but u get the idea) - but I want to modify with style lol.... I'm not one for lexus lights and fluffy dice, i try to get everything OEM looking to a certain extent - make it look like it was meant to be that way, and not just bits slapped on here and there.

Is it an "easy" swap to convert a TT aero into a manual? Or is it a big/expensive job?

I'm still not sure If I'd want to import, or, when funds available, just keep trawling forums etc for one thats already over here.