The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Young Enthusiast - Please Help!!!

Guest huwt4ng

Guest huwt4ng

Hi there,

I am a young enthusiast of MKIV Supras and have been for as many years as I have been interested in motor vehicles (which is not a great amount of time to some, being 17). I have now had the fortune of being financially able to purchase my own supra but I do not no where to start. I have endlessly trawled the internet to find my perfect supra, i would like it to preferably to have:

Around a 1994/1995

3.0 N/A Engine

Manual Gearbox

Aero Top Roof

I have read that these models are rare? Is this true?

I dont mind about condition so much, as I am to rebuilt alot of it.

Is it advisible to possibly a much more available Automatic version of the above and going for a gearbox conversion?

I have also understand you can save £££ by importing, yet I have only found this to be more expensive. Any comments?

I understand that this is not a online showroom, I am just looking for any help anyone can provide. I am hellbent on getting the above car. Supras are amazing!

Alot of questions, I know, But I am a young mind buzzing with questions. Sorry.

Thank you for your help.

Huw S. Davies :)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome, its a rareish spec but there's a few on the forum. Check out the cars for sale section.

Have you checked insurance on these yet? NA's are generally more to insure than TT's, but at your age either would cost a fortune.

cant gat a manual aero top matey, unless its wrong hand drive

You can in an NA :)

A 17 year old that can post in readable english! Welcome!

Manual aerotops are indeed quite rare. And they're all N/A too unless someone has converted an aerotop TT to manual transmission.

It's a lot of work and money to convert to manual. Much better to just buy the one you want in the first place.

I wouldn't import either. Mainly because I hate waiting for things to arrive. The two month wait to see my car would kill me.

really! i didnt know that, thats why i got a tin top!

bugger!!!

or do you mean conversions?

RHD NA Auto was produced

RHD NA Aero 5spd was produced

RHD NA Aero 6spd was produced (late models only 97+ I think)

RHD TT Aero auto was produced (GZ model)

RHD TT Aero manual was never produced. These are only available by conversion and I beleive there is only one (Owned by Scooby on this forum)

Guest huwt4ng

Thank you all so much, this is all very helpful and my thread is barely 5 minutes old! So now I basically have a painful decision on where to sacrifice the aero top or the RHD! aaarrggghh. Thank you all again. This is the type of guidance I have been looking for!

:welcome:

Cant help you much with the spec mate but everyone on here is reallly helpfull!

Im sure everyone will tell you to watch for insurance but if your keen enough then it shouldnt matter. Im only 20 and just got my TT and after driving it i dont gruge the insurance at all!!

As for importing I imported mine privatly, got an unbelivably clean car except the head gasket had gone! Its a bit of a gamble tbh. There are loads of mint cars for sale on here anyway which you can be sure wont go wrong straight away!!

Thank you all so much, this is all very helpful and my thread is barely 5 minutes old! So now I basically have a painful decision on where to sacrifice the aero top or the RHD! aaarrggghh. Thank you all again. This is the type of guidance I have been looking for!

No mate, you can have both if you want an NA version!

Sacrifice the aero top, the hardtops handle better, and are safer should you have an accident. They are also cheaper to boot and less likely to leak if you have to park it outside. Welcome, quite a cool car for a 17 year old, I had a Lea Francis 14 Light at your age. I managed to nurse 100 MPH out of it, downhill, with a following wind and a tow from some madman driving a de resticted artic.

It seems so my friend. Buggered if i've ever seen one though! :D

seen a couple advertised (but then look how many V6 sups there are for sale) over the years but not actually physically seen one, or heard of a member on here having one, or someone like Jurgen advertising that one is available at auction..........so its seems they do exist just no ones got one:d