The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Headlight removal. Any benifits really?

GazzaGSi

Sunday at the pod I would say for every 3 cars that went up the strip, 1 had a headlight removed - obviously the air filter side.

I was just wondering if it does really help? Would people recommend it for someone who was about to go on?

I know without the headlight it is alot easier for ai to get to the filter but would you run a slower time if you left it on or is it not that significant?

Just curious...

Ahh the old arse dyno placebo effect!

I would have thought you would gain no more than 5, maybe 10, 15 at a puch BHP from doing it. I know race drivers in F1 who didn't notive that they were 50bhp down....

More responsive? Maybe I don't know.

I wonder if I put my head under the bonnet of someones car for an hour or two and said I'd modified X, and it'll make the car run better, but had really done feck all, how many people would think they could "feel" the improvement? (That's ignoring the fact that if I stuck my head under the bonnet of any car for a couple of hours, chances are it wouldn't run again!)

Guest gzaerojon

surely if you can get a extra flow of air forced directly into the air filter it's got to be a good thing right?

hopefully not a shameless plug, but my fibreglass fabricator and i are currently working on something interesting at the moment ;)

Ahh the old arse dyno placebo effect!

I wonder if I put my head under the bonnet of someones car for an hour or two and said I'd modified X, and it'll make the car run better, but had really done feck all, how many people would think they could "feel" the improvement?

Case in point; those maplins resistors people sell on eBay that richen up the mixture. A couple of NA folks on here have sworn they make the car more powerful

:lol:

I've experimented extensively with this 'ramair' supercharging effect.

You can get 5-7% bhp increase at high speeds if done properly.

The stock supra setup is NOT such a design though, so if left unmodified it is impossible to pressurise the airbox.

You can however reduce the vacuum when the throttle is opened widely at high revs - plus the cool air effect, which is even more important for power.

I think that what this guy felt was mainly placebo, the drag from the extra air piling under the bonnet would offset any gains.

For real difference he needed to have sealed the front intake, have it protrude by a couple of inches, with a belmouth --- and block off the side airbox intake.