The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fitted new bulbs massive difference

jamesmark

The new ones look much better. Think I am going to upgrade, which ones did you go for ?

As the first post said 6500k 100w (9005 fitment) super white, I have HID lights too 8000k the suppossed chav/max power ones that Porsche, Mercedes, Audi, VW use as standard.

I had 100w bulb in my mainbeams too. Good aren't they!

I was too scared to put them in the dipped beams though, in case they over-heated the wiring or the light lens.

I have put 100w in the fogs too, again the super whites, anything is better than the piss poor stock ones.

I had 100w bulb in my mainbeams too. Good aren't they!

I was too scared to put them in the dipped beams though, in case they over-heated the wiring or the light lens.

Jake I can recommend Narva Ice Blue for your dipped beams. Much better than standard or the other "upgrade" bulbs.. They also go under the name of "RING Ice Blue"...

Guest gzaerojon
Just fitted new 100w 6500k (9005) main beams, massive difference over the stock 65w ones

[qimg]http://img451.imageshack.us/img451/7889/pict1251bk6.jpg[/qimg]

[qimg]http://img435.imageshack.us/img435/7582/pict1252qo3.jpg[/qimg]

mate you're just nuts!! first a HID kit and now these :blink:

must be like daylight where ever you drive :D

btw i just got a HID kit ;)

As the first post said 6500k 100w (9005 fitment) super white, I have HID lights too 8000k the suppossed chav/max power ones that Porsche, Mercedes, Audi, VW use as standard.

Sorry mate, I was asking which make they are. SHould have made it clearer :rolleyes:

65w acording to toyota or around that number.......anything above is illegal.

As for the RING Ice Blue, it maybe different as i tried these on my paxo but i found them truely poop :(

I think bulbs work or not depending on the design of the lens reflector.

I have a Soarer and the standard bulbs are pants...spent the whole time trying to see where the edge of the road is.....

Tried lots of "upgrades" which gave slight improvement, but the ring bulbs were noticeably better than anything else, in fact I had my car next to a guy with HID and couldn't see much difference. Now I drive around counrty lanes at night etc and don't even think about the lights at all...

Sorry mate, I was asking which make they are. SHould have made it clearer :rolleyes:

Have not got a clue but will check out for, all i can tell you is they were from e bay for £13 ish all in, they have lasted on my father in laws car no probs been on 7 months so far

I have HID lights too 8000k the suppossed chav/max power ones that Porsche, Mercedes, Audi, VW use as standard.

All OEM applications use 4100/4300k bulbs - it's the HID optics in the headlight lenses themselves that make the lights look so blue, not the actual bulbs.

All OEM applications use 4100/4300k bulbs - it's the HID optics in the headlight lenses themselves that make the lights look so blue, not the actual bulbs.

Hmmmm never heard that one before!!! I may be wrong. Clearly state 8000k on the box and not 4100k/4300k, it's just if you slap in 4300k and its the lense and not the bulb then why does 8000k make a difference if its not the bulb but the lense? the bulbs have to be different.

Hmmmm never heard that one before!!! I may be wrong. Clearly state 8000k on the box and not 4100k/4300k, Mines are not OEM, it's just if you slap in 4300k and its the lense and not the bulb then why does 8000k make a difference if its not the bulb but the lense? the bulbs have to be different.

I didn't mean that the bulbs don't make a difference, but cars that come with factory fitted xenons use different headlight clusters/lenses with specially designed HID optics. These let through more light and also cause the trademark blue appearance, even with 4300k bulbs. If you put a 4300k xenon kit in a car that uses halogen bulbs as standard such as the Supra, they will be white but they won't look as blue as those on the German cars you mention, because the Supra headlights are designed for halogen bulbs. If you put in 6000k or 8000k bulbs, then yes, they will be extremely blue, but that's because the higher the kelvin, the bluer the light. OEM xenons appear blue because of the light being bent by the lens, your lights appear blue because they are. OEM xenon applications use 4100/4300k bulbs because these produce the whitest, brightest light, closest to sunlight, and the actual lighting performance drops off quite rapidly once you go up to 6000k, 8000k and beyond.