The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How to import a 2002 Supra to the UK and register it!

Lucifer

I was speaking to someone from VOSA the other day in a pub. After a few drinks he said that you can actually import NON Model reported cars into the UK after 1997.

If the car has been registered for at least 12 months in the contry of origin in your name you can import it with no issues whatso ever.

He is a bit of a rule maker in VOSA so I woudl expect this information to be accurate!

So in theory you could import a car to HK first, get it modified with parts of your choice at a fraction of the price and then 1 year later import into UK?

Okay so who's first? :search:

I could even help run it in for you if you want ;)

This PDF from VOSA suggests you only need an SVA, not an ESVA. I think it's the ESVA which requires the model report and more stringent tests?

The criteria for classification as a Personal Import is that the applicant must have been resident in the country of export for at least 12 months and have owned the vehicle for at least 6 months. Satisfactory evidence of these two criteria must be produced at the time of application. Most imported vehicles that are not true personal imports will require Enhanced SVA.
http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/carlgvowners/importingandbuildingvehicles/1singlevehicleapprovalscheme.htm

So as long as you know someone that's been over there for over a year and you're willing to wait 6 months, you could wangle it perhaps. I'm not sure how you'd get away with that person not coming across to live here to register it themselves though.

Type Approval

Non-type approved vehicles less than 10 years old that are personally imported are required to pass a Single Vehicle Approval (SVA) test. To qualify as a Personal Import [PI], the following conditions have to be met.

· If the vehicle has been imported by a person entering the United Kingdom;

· That the person had, at the time the vehicle was imported, been normally resident in a country other than the United Kingdom for a continuous period of at least 12 months;

· That person intends to become normally resident in the United Kingdom;

· That the vehicle has been in the possession of that person and used by him in the country where he has normally resident for a period of at least 6 months before its importation and

· That the vehicle is intended for his personal or household use in the United Kingdom.

Personally imported vehicles over 3 years old, that meet the above criteria, will be subject to the MOT test.

The Vehicle Operator Services Agency will need to be satisfied that the person importing the vehicle complies with the above criteria.

NB. P.I. status does not apply to HGVs over 3,500kgs.

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/exptimpt.htm#IMPORTING%20A%20VEHICLE

Yeah, but you need to prove that you also have lived in the country for that year as well !!!!! you need evidence, such as registation documents with your address in the country, bank account details etc, etc,

I have registered cars for people that bring them into the country as a Personal imports, and it can be a pain in the arse to satisfy DVLA with the relevant documents !!!! Also you need to be able to prove this evidence to VOSA before the vehicle can be SVa`d. Like I say its not easy, even for people who are genuinely bringing in personal imports. :Pling:

Well i`d wait and see what happens before you enter into it, You would had to of lived there a year and owned the car for at least six months, when you paid the Tax to import the vehicle you will be issued by Customs and excise a c&e 388, that proves to Vosa that all is correct , then the application for sva can be processed !! ;)

I do have some knowledge of this as I used to work for VOSA years ago, and then worked at an SVA test centre for 3 yrs, oh and my partner works within model reports, just dont wanna see anyone end up with a car they cant do bugger all with and out of pocket .

Vanessa

Well i`d wait and see what happens before you enter into it, You would had to of lived there a year and owned the car for at least six months, when you paid the Tax to import the vehicle you will be issued by Customs and excise a c&e 388, that proves to Vosa that all is correct , then the application for sva can be processed !! ;)

I do have some knowledge of this as I used to work for VOSA years ago, and then worked at an SVA test centre for 3 yrs, oh and my partner works within model reports, just dont wanna see anyone end up with a car they cant do bugger all with and out of pocket .

Vanessa

Bet there is great conversation around your dinner table:p

Great info there though;)

Can you detail exactly what is required please Vanessa?

I'm living in Japan at the moment and looking to by a car. I'm tax resident, and the car will be registered in my name at my address. I expect to be here for more than a year, and want to import it to the UK when I leave.

Do I need to be UK resident to import the car? Could be a pain if I take a job in another country after Japan, and can't bring the car back as a result...

I've been told you need to keep the car for a year after it's in the country, otherwise you're liable for tax.

Just trying to find out all the facts from the hear say :)

I've been told you need to keep the car for a year after it's in the country, otherwise you're liable for tax.

This is true Nick, From C&E:

Note: The 12 month restriction period on the sale or disposal of your belongings or vehicle will start on the date they arrive and are granted relief.

Bit of info here:

10.1 How do I register and license my vehicle if imported to stay permanently in the EC?

(a) On import

When your vehicle has been admitted free of duty and tax under the relief in Section 5, or when all duty and tax has been paid at importation, we will give you:

a Customs clearance Form C&E 386 or C&E 388; and

the appropriate PI notice and SVA leaflet issued by the Department for Transport (DfT) which set out the legal requirements which you must satisfy before you register the vehicle.

You must go without delay to the nearest Local Office (LO) of the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) to get your vehicle registered and licensed. Take along the clearance form we give you as the LO may ask you for it. Please note - the only circumstances in which you can drive your vehicle before these formalities are completed is to and from a pre-arranged SVA/MoT test. You will find contact numbers in your phone book under 'Driving and Vehicles'.

You have to pay a fee of £38 on the first registration and licensing of a motor vehicle in the UK. The fee is designed to cover the administrative costs associated with registration of the vehicle throughout its life. The fee is applicable to all vehicles except those first registered and licensed in the 'Disabled Exempt' taxation class.

(b) After import

If your vehicle has been admitted free of charges under the relief in Section 5, the DVLA will issue the vehicle registration document in due course. This will be endorsed with the words 'Customs restricted until (date)'. The date will be when the restriction on disposal expires.

You can get a new unendorsed registration document:

(i) when the one-year period of restriction ends; or

(ii) if you pay duty and tax to Customs before that time. Our National Advice Service can tell you how to do this.

To get your new registration document, you should apply to the LO which registered your vehicle when you brought it into the UK. You will need to send your restricted registration document with your application.

If you have paid duty and tax ((b) (ii) above), you will need to send our Customs Form C&E 386 with your application.

You lucky man, Zele have some top drawer motors. Hopefully you'll have your R34 when I am back over in January. We'll have to go for a drink :)

So you seem to like Japan then, yes? :D

Gaz.

With a bit of luck I'll have one soon, saw some stunning cars today....

Drink sounds good mate. Japan's great, going to stay here as long as possible.:)