The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Matt back, or nothing!

rik

As some of you on here may remember, i bought my supra crash damaged last summer, hoping to get it straightened out and on the road for this summer. Well, time is ticking by and it's not on the road yet, although the damage is repaired and i have (nearly) all parts to build it up.

At the moment it's sitting on the drive waiting for a coat of paint and m.o.t! The plan is to prep and prime it myself (i have bodyshop exp) but i do not have anywhere suitable that i can top coat it and guarantee a good finish. There's no way i'll have the cash to get it coloured in the next couple of months, but am so desperate to drive it this summer.

Now i recon i could get it in primer fairly soon, and hopefully wont need to much for m.o.t. What i'm conidering is giving it a quick coat of matt black just so it's all one colour and i can get it on the road.

I don't want to look like a pikey, but i do so want to drive it this year

What do you think?

23-May-06 SAS3.jpg

Personally I'd go Satin black rather than matt black - much easier to keep clean :) :) Matt black tends to 'hold' the dirt and dust and it marks very easily. Satin finish is smoother and so you don't get the same problems :)

I did an ond Granada in matt ehn satin black - limo tint windows, black wheels, smoked lights, the lot!!! Looked like something out of Mad Max LOL

If it's only the front wings, bumper and bonnet, why not just unbolt them and then paint them in the same colour as the rest of the car for a temporary solution, takes less space to paint a wing than the whole car.

Yeah i could do this, but the Blue paintjob the car had done at some point is really poor quality and has to come off before anything else goes on. The paint is about an inch thick and the finish is more abrasive than most sand paper! Plus i got to do the rear bumper and tailgate anyway.

Theres too many posers on here mate, go for the matt black hardcore look, will look hard as nails :)

(change the wheels though :) )

Yeah i'm seriously warming to the idea :eyebrows: I'm not too fussed about the matt deteriorating as it's only temporary. Plus i can allways blast another quick coat on it. And i've allready got me a set of j-spec 16's to go on in gunmetal! Plus i've just facelifted the headlights so it will be totaly stealth:cool:

If it's only the front wings, bumper and bonnet, why not just unbolt them and then paint them in the same colour as the rest of the car for a temporary solution, takes less space to paint a wing than the whole car.

Actualy missed your point a bit there, but the same applies. I'd never find paint bad enough to match the blue though.

Yeah i could do this, but the Blue paintjob the car had done at some point is really poor quality and has to come off before anything else goes on. The paint is about an inch thick and the finish is more abrasive than most sand paper! Plus i got to do the rear bumper and tailgate anyway.

Well if it's only temporary, just buy a litre or two of the blue paint and key the silver and spray straight over it with the blue so that you can use it before the end of summer. Then you can do a proper job on it over winter.

That's what I'd do, as you could do that in little to no time. Then spend the time on it over winter.