The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Whifbitz - Decat

kosmic

Big thanks to Paul for fitting my decat pipe this morning. Excellent service and excellent prices!!! Highly recommended and will definetly be going back there.

Car sounds awesome with the Tanabe on there. However i have (another) problem.. Car was boosting at stock to 0.7 bar and now only boosts upto 0.8 bar with the decat (jspec). I cant find and immediate boost leaks but its been underboosting since i reverted back to sequential mode from TTC a month ago...any ideas why it could be underboosting. before i did the TTc mode, i was boosting 0.8-0.9 bar all day everyday.???

Big thanks to Paul for fitting my decat pipe this morning. Excellent service and excellent prices!!! Highly recommended and will definetly be going back there.

Car sounds awesome with the Tanabe on there. However i have (another) problem.. Car was boosting at stock to 0.7 bar and now only boosts upto 0.8 bar with the decat (jspec). I cant find and immediate boost leaks but its been underboosting since i reverted back to sequential mode from TTC a month ago...any ideas why it could be underboosting. before i did the TTc mode, i was boosting 0.8-0.9 bar all day everyday.???

the heat won't be helping with the boost levels

are you one for getting underneath your own car? If so, take the restrictor ring out and try it. If it boost OK then the restrictor ring will need the opening enlarged

Yep love doing my own stuff when i can. Will try that and see what happens. Cheers Lee

UPDATE: In the quest to solve the problem, wkdtime came round to help my diagnose the missing boost problem.

First we tried the car in sequential mode, max boost was 0.8 bar.

Then we tried it in TTC mode, max boost was 0.8 bar sustained(spiked to 1.0bar).

Still the same.

Next we disconnected the BOV and same,0.8 bar.

So as LeeT suggested we took out the restricter ring out. :D

Was a different car altogether. Now happily boosts to just under 1.0 bar, doesnt hit fuel cut and is running sweet as anything and feck me does it fly. cant wait to install the plugs,pump,FCD and start turning up the boost a little. Although it isnt peaking to 1.2+ bar as i though a jspec would, im still happy that it isnt hitting fuel cut without the restricter ring and boy has it brought back that smile to my face admist all the other problems the car is giving me. :D

Good news that its working again Sandeep :)

I know different cars respond to decatting differently, but its doesn't sound right that you're not over boosting without the restrictor. Most jspec cars will over boost hugely (I hit 1.2bar in 2st and 1.4bar in 2nd, can't imagine what 5th would hit).

This could indicate another issue with maybe a vsv or vacuum pipe work...

I know different cars respond to decatting differently, but its doesn't sound right that you're not over boosting without the restrictor. Most jspec cars will over boost hugely (I hit 1.2bar in 2st and 1.4bar in 2nd, can't imagine what 5th would hit).

Homer, theres quite a few members who dont over boost with double decat on J specs, Nic being one of the many that i can name.

If there was a problem with he VSV it would have shown when the car was run in TTC as both the VSV and IACV are by passed...yet there was no difference.

Just to add,

Damn Kosmics Tannabe sounds awsome with the double decat, so much better than the Nur Spec, one of the best sounding IMHO.

Cheers Dude, damn it did sounded pretty awesome, like a WW2 bomber :D well chuffed with it. I went for a spirited drive last night and with the colder air was just starting to hit fuel cut :D Gota sort the pump,plugs & FCD out now. anyone recommend a boost controller?

As some other people have said, not all the cars respond the same...last time I talked to Scooby, he said his was only doing 0.9 on a double decat and backbox...

Just to add,

Damn Kosmics Tannabe sounds awsome with the double decat, so much better than the Nur Spec, one of the best sounding IMHO.

Brings back all the memories of how good mine used to sound with decat and Tanabe Super Racing Medallion.

IMO the Tanabe zorst is better than the Nur Spec in terms of sound AND build quality.