The mkiv Supra Owners Club

SAFC II vs Power FC

MaveriK

Ok, firstly i am not that car literate so if this is a stupid question i am sorry.

Am going through the pain of trying to get my car back on the road and am quite close to the end of a very long journey. My car is with Norris Racing to tidy up and he has advised me to get shot of the SAFC II that i was told to buy and get a Power FC as its a much better unit. Obviously the Power FC is the better unit but is it overkill for my setup?

I am running the following :-

Hybrids (hopefully)

650's

New fuel pump

Full decat

Boost controller (1.4Bar)

FMIC

Which way shoudl i jump?

SAFC will do the job, PowerFC will do it slightly better, other options will probably improve further with more cost.

Is there a shortfall at present and on what grounds are they saying you need to ditch the SAFC?

eManage might be better way to move up without the costs of the FC, not sure if Chuck Norris likes those though.

I think the SAFC is a piggy back as is the emanage, the PowerFC is a replacement ECU.

Piggy back units work by messing with the signals going to the original ECU while a replacement unit does as it says, replaces the ECU.

I dont know if the PowerFC works with an auto gearbox either, not a prob if you are manual though.

SAFC will do the job, PowerFC will do it slightly better, other options will probably improve further with more cost.

Is there a shortfall at present and on what grounds are they saying you need to ditch the SAFC?

Call me synical...but perhaps because the power FC costs more the 3 times the price of the SAFC2 not to mention the cost of mapping it.....

There is always something better out there for you to spend your money on.....point is...do you really need it?

I am indeed auto and dont plan on going any further with the car as a project unless i win the lottery.

Simon gave me a very good price on mapping the PowerFC and hasnt offered to sell me one so i dont think he was trying to rip me off. He just didnt like the fudgy nature of SAFC.

Simon gave me a very good price on mapping the PowerFC and hasnt offered to sell me one so i dont think he was trying to rip me off. He just didnt like the fudgy nature of SAFC.

He can afford to be choosy :)

The SAFC II will be fine with what you have, ideallyit would be nice combine it with an Apexi ITC (or similar) if you can find one but plenty of people seem to be doing OK with the basics.

Power FC is a much better solution than an SAFC II, and they can be had for around £500 - £600 now if you buy from Japan or the states. Not sure of the going rate for an SAFC II but imagine around £200 and adding an ITC would be similar on top, but the PFC would still be a much better solution - it has 20x20 cell (load points) resolution for mapping of both fuelling and ignition maps.

As already mentioned, emanage ultimate is the best budget solution if you have an auto.

Cheers,

Brian.

I've mapped Power FC's and am not sure how you would achieve running a PFC as a piggyback? It wants all sensor information in raw form the same as the stock ECU, then it wants to output signals. It wouldn't work on output signals from the stock ECU and the stock ECU would have a fit seeing the output from the PFC.

Unless you do some serious hacking of the wiring loom / ECU multiplug and just run the wires associated to the control of the autobox to the stock ECU / plug and then route everything else into another connector to plug into the PFC?