The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advice needed buying UK Spec TT

Guest CarLover

Guest CarLover

Thinking of buying UK Spec L-reg Supra, Auto, 60K miles

Owner said that it is HPI clear but I just found out that it has Cat D write off about 3 years ago.

Mechanically car is almost standard (air filter and dump valve only), full bodykit and 18" wheels. Data check shows 5 previous owners.

What would you think it's worth?

I've never had any cat D or C cars, so don't know how does it affect the value on resale. I believe a lot of people just wouldn't touch it. So I believe it might be almost impossible to sell it in couple of years?

Really dont know shall I walk away or do a proper mechanical car check in the garage...

It wont be impossible to sell but it wont be worth as much, is he trying to sell it and not stating its cat d?

If so its obviously worth nowhere near as much, id guess 2-3K less than a UK supra thats accident free!

The problem id have with accident cars is not knowing the extent to which it was damaged, and not not knowing wether its been repaired to a high and safe standard.

Id avoid but then again, some J-spec cars come over crash damaged so you have to be careful either way, at least you know about this one so well done for carrying out the hpi check, thats another good thing about the Uk supra!

Interesting. How long has he been owner of it? He may not know it had been in a accident if he bought it like that? Or if he does know he maybe trying to hide the fact to get a better price. How much is it up for? Can you tell any of the bodywork doesnt look correct? Bonnet/wing gaps? Overspray? Shades of paintwork etc?

Unsure regarding the insurance question. If a good job of the work has been done though it should be fine. Theres millions of cars out there that have been in a accident and repaired. Just need to make sure the repair work was to a decent/high standard.

Good luck!

Guest CarLover

Thx guys.

From what I can see he owned it for less than a year, cat D was abot 3 yrs ago. Bodywork looks correct, it was fully oversprayed.

No accident history (I mean pics etc) as he declaired that he didn't know anything about it.

One of the reason why I don't want J-spec was that you can't really check the history of the car.

Asking price around 7,700K which sounds not bad for UK spec. But it is Auto which is obviously cheaper than Manual. I'm not mechanically minded so cat really tell if it is anything wrong with it. Generally looks OK.

There is also another point - 60K miles looks very low for me (UK-spec L reg)

Thx guys.

From what I can see he owned it for less than a year, cat D was abot 3 yrs ago. Bodywork looks correct, it was fully oversprayed.

No accident history (I mean pics etc) as he declaired that he didn't know anything about it.

One of the reason why I don't want J-spec was that you can't really check the history of the car.

Asking price around 7,700K which sounds not bad for UK spec. But it is Auto which is obviously cheaper than Manual. I'm not mechanically minded so cat really tell if it is anything wrong with it. Generally looks OK.

There is also another point - 60K miles looks very low for me (UK-spec L reg)

I wouldn't pay £7.7k for a car thats recorded as accident damaged and if it says 60k without FSH on a 12 year old car I would be sceptical..

60K is not improbable, but does require further investigation to verify the figure.

Since it's a UK model you should be able to check MOTs and receipts - if they are not available then play it safe and assume that it's clocked (and adjust the asking price accordingly)

Guest CarLover
have you looked on the trader at the black scottish one? my supra buying instinct is saying its got the potential to be a good one........

I've seen the pics on autotrader, thx

Potentially might be good

A bit far from me, really too busy now to spend 1 day travelling to Scotland and back. Need to think about it

Guest CarLover
i have just sold an auto although j-spec grade 4 and its virtually like new for a little less than 8k with history and has no accident history so this one to me seems expensive

Normally UK-Spec is slightly more expensive, isn't it? Or I'm wrong?

Guest CarLover

OK guys,

Anyone here has nice example TT Auto for sale? :D

UK-spec prefer, but would consider J-spec

Must be Auto box & bodykit

Leather (at least rear seats)

17"+ alloys

Almost any colour considered (but not pink or green), prefer black, silver, bronze.

Not high milege

Clear HPI ;)

Wouldn't disclose budget but prepaired to pay for nice example

Not too far from London (150-200 miles is OK)

OK guys,

Anyone here has nice example TT Auto for sale? :D

UK-spec prefer, but would consider J-spec

Must be Auto box & bodykit

Leather (at least rear seats)

17"+ alloys

Almost any colour considered (but not pink or green), prefer black, silver, bronze.

Not high milege

Clear HPI ;)

Wouldn't disclose budget but prepaired to pay for nice example

Not too far from London (150-200 miles is OK)

have u looked in for sale section ??