The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Big single or hybrids

ross

Hey guys.

Just thinking at the mo about what to do to the engine. Its almost totally stock at the mo.

Have been wondering which to do, either uprate to hybrid turbos or go single.

Anyone know what the advantages/disadvantages are for both applications?

Is there a huge cost difference? What would it cost?

I've been told in the past that you lose driveability when you have one big turbo. Any truth to this?

Would like some of your thoughts on which way to go before spend me hard earned cash. Sorry if this is a bit of a dumbass question guys, still finding me feet at the mo.

Lots of threads about this, have a search.

If your engine is stock then i would say go BPU first to see if it is enough power for you.

What are your power goals ?

Gonna be looking for 450 upwards which ive heard is do-able with hybrids. Would like to know though why every one seems to be raving about going single.

Just wondering what the guys on hear would do.

Could have around 4k to spend once i've sold one of me kidneys.

You will seriously regret going to Hybrids. We don't even sell them for alot of reasons. Single is the way forward after 450BHP.

Why not come down and have a demo drive sometime, you will be converted instantly!

Agreed:

I went from standard turbos to hybrids waste of money for the performance gains. Either go full BPU or go single.

Hybrids are only worth buying if your standard turbos go bang and you dont want to go ingle...IMHO

You will seriously regret going to Hybrids. We don't even sell them for alot of reasons. Single is the way forward after 450BHP.

Why not come down and have a demo drive sometime, you will be converted instantly!

Cheers mate, might do that. Where are you based exactly?

It depends what you want form your car and your own preferences. Terry's car spools like a BPU car, but a shedload of time, money and thought has gone into that car. There are hybrid owners who are happy with their turbos, there are hybrid owners who aren't.

Talk to some owners, have some rides/drives of members cars with the different set-ups.

Ross, if your aiming for around the 450BHP id suggest you go full BPU first as this will include alot of the mods which you will need later if you wish to go single or Hybrids.

With full BPU you'd be looking at around 400BHP at the fly assuming you take it to circa 1.2Bar boost.

Id get the new I/C, Decat pipes, FCD, Ristrictor ring (and EBC if you opt for a 0.9-1.0 Bar ring), Plugs, AFR gauge, FPR, Boost gauge.

Think about it, a BPU supra is a totally different car from stock, forget about the BHP goal for now. Once you want more power you already have most the mods in place and thus you wont be loosing out on money on the old parts and therfore it will bring down the cost for any future upgardes i.e single or Big twins.

Hi Martin, I would like a test ride in a single but don,t know if i can stretch to £4.5k at the mo

Sorry to hi jack the thread

I went to hybrids last year and absolutely LOVE the way the car is now.

Mind you, these were IanC's old hybrids and we really don't know who built them or to what spec, but as Ian will tell you, there strong uns!

Just a point, 'Hybrids' (as the word suggests) are a kind of a cross-breed of stock turbo housings with aftermarket internals. I think when Rosie referred to 'Big Hybrids' she meant big twins like the HKS type of thing. Right, Rosie? :thumbs:

Gonna be looking for 450 upwards which ive heard is do-able with hybrids. Would like to know though why every one seems to be raving about going single.

Just wondering what the guys on hear would do.

Could have around 4k to spend once i've sold one of me kidneys.

Ive got hybrids with BPU, putting out 400bhp in 33 degree heat. Defo a sound investment if your original turbos pack up, but if you want about 450bhp then changing your turbos isnt required. Bigger turbos are like 500/600 +++ BHP mods. I think with BPU, FMIC and some choose internal mods you can deliver you 450BHP without loosing the Twin set up.

If i was to go for bigger turbos i would defo go for big twins and i would hate the lag of a large single, but they are more expensive.

If i was to go for bigger turbos i would defo go for big twins and i would hate the lag of a large single, but they are more expensive.

Big twins can be even more laggier than singles. Effectively, you only have three exhaust ports to spool up each turbo, as opposed to six to the one turbo. If you don't like lag, a small single would be the way to go. ;)

My advice from having hybrids (which are now for sale:d ), and now having a single turbo, is save up and up to the point when you thin kthe wait is gonna kill you, and then make your decision. Trying to do stuff to a set budget doesnt work.

Always prepare for the worst, the most expensive outcome, and the most realistic. That way you wont be too distraught when something suffers a hiccup in your plan, you wont be out of pocket with a half done job because you werent financially prepared, and you wont be dissapointed when you dont make 800bhp for £3000 just because someone reckons they know different to all other tuners in the world ever!

This is the voice of experience telling you this! Dont fall in the same hole I did.

My advice from having hybrids (which are now for sale:d ), and now having a single turbo, is save up and up to the point when you thin kthe wait is gonna kill you, and then make your decision. Trying to do stuff to a set budget doesnt work.

Always prepare for the worst, the most expensive outcome, and the most realistic. That way you wont be too distraught when something suffers a hiccup in your plan, you wont be out of pocket with a half done job because you werent financially prepared, and you wont be dissapointed when you dont make 800bhp for £3000 just because someone reckons they know different to all other tuners in the world ever!

This is the voice of experience telling you this! Dont fall in the same hole I did.

Listen to this man, great post, well put.

Here is my 2p*:

If you're going to forgo the sequential operation (which practically all 'hybrids' force you to do) then fitting non-stock turbos is a waste of money and the planet's resources in general.

I see the so-called hybrids as half-arsed versions of stock units, with a higher failure rate and an increased boost threshold for no good reason. Their so-called designers typically can't even come up with a compressor map, they are that bad. Simply machining an oversized compressor in the housing doesn't cut it in my book.

Hell, they can't even fit ceramic turbines, hence the steel 'upgrade'.

At least with a single you are not under illusions of boost at 2Krpm

Either do it right (go all the way), or stay stock.

The stock turbos can be pushed quite a bit if you do it right.

*spend it wisely

I still think there is a place for hybrids, *as long as they are good ones*. I've not found any stronger than my old ones but Heckler's comes close. I think some people got sold some mules a while back that weren't much better than stockers and that gave them a bad rep.

They are deffo the cheapest option and result in the most stock-like driving experience. I pushed 500bhp with mine, with cams, FMIC, an E-Manage, and stuff, at 1.4bar. It wasn't slow, it walked away from BPU cars. However that was at the limit of the hybrids and any T61 at 1.2bar would in turn walk away from them. They also suffered boost creep quite badly, and my boost controller had problems trying to attain and maintain a selected boost level. And you've still got the downers of the sequential system, namely when bits go wrong :)

-Ian