The mkiv Supra Owners Club

transmission upgrade

cntt

I saw something about not to change the pullies and something about flywheel here

I'm going to do a 5spd to 6spd upgrade, and while I at that, I'm thinking I get a Fandanza lighten flywheel and lighten pullies plus a stage 2 clutch.

is there anything I need to look out for before doing so?

I agree with Martin, you don't need to 'upgrade' any parts unless you are making a serious power upgrade. New flywheel, clutch, release bearing and bolts are obvisouly essential.

Ayone know if the slave cylinder volume & throw are different? How about the fork?

If you want to make the car handle properly you WILL need an LSD diff though... If fast I'd change this before the transmission if drivability is your aim...

oh yea I be doing the LSD at the same time as well

so Fandanza be good for it then?

I be getting all very well branded parts, its not a car you want to be cheap with and its no point using cheap parts when modding it :)

duno about slave cylinder volume & throw are different or the fork either?but I'm going to get the Stillway sequential adapter as well, if I find out where to buy one from that is or can I get it with the gearbox together :)

I want to get it all ready first before the turbo upgrade, thinking I will get the PHR stage 2.

so Fandanza be good for it then?

Depends, which product do you refer to and what are your aims for the car? There's no way I'd have a lightweight flywheel. Are you going for one? You mention one of the mainstream manf. of them so I guess someone has recommended it? If so what type of clutch are going for (Martin will know where this is heading ;) )

Aftermarket does not mean better, no disrespect to Martin but do some research on parts before buying things blind.

I like fandanza because I used their lighten flywheels on every cars I've worked on and never had any problems with them, as for other parts, I am still doing research on what to go for!

what I want to do is to have everything set up and ready so I can get the best performance and handling when I get the PHR stage 2 turbo kit fitted, get the best out of everything really, including weight reduction on everything as well as corbon fiiber doors and wings this and that, the whole lot.

Fitting a lightened flywheel will help with response, but the payoff is that it WILL be noisy ie. rattle at tickover and increased transmission noise. As Homer says it really depends on your aims.

I would personally go for a lightened steel flywheel, such as the TRD, Exedy, etc. I don't know the Fidanza products, but most aftermarket flywheels are aluminium.

If I can help with the supply of any parts, please drop me a line.