The mkiv Supra Owners Club

2jz Gte - 3s Gte

bolarbag

I've been thinking about this for all of 5minutes, but has anyone other than the GT500 Tuners did the 3S GTE Conversion?

Now before you think I'm insane, the reason I ask is that although the 2JZ has the potential of a theoritical 2000bhp(or something like that) wouldnt a fully rebuilt race spec 3S GTE make for a better perfomance supra as installed it would make it mid engined and also save a good few lbs in weight?

I'm refering to those who would like the supra as a track car because Im sure that would be the best application. Its just with the cost of the HKS 3.4l install and single turbo, you could yank out the 2JZ and pop in a fully rebuilt 3S GTE for a whole lot cheaper.

What would be the disadvantage in say a 600-700bhp 3S GTE compared to the 600-700Bhp 2JZ GTE?

I'm seriously thinking this may be a very good option because I'm looking to save major weight, does anyone know of the weight differences?

Yeah I one of my mechanics mentioned that, I love my Getrag 6Speed but I would be prepared to go for the 5speed if needs be?

Im quite surprised no one has went for this option, (maybe there is a reason for this) even a major tuner as it would hopefully make a pretty awesome track supra?

The GT500 Supra's do pretty well, I'm looking at replacing the body parts with the carbon fibre parts from seibon, you may ask why dont you buy another car for the track but I love my sup, it would make an awesome project not to mention at 700bhp n say 150k lighter it would still be awesome on the motorway!

I would probably keep the 2JZ if I was going for a drag car but if you dont want to unleash 1000bhp whats the point. Im sure it wouldnt be that practical whereas the 700bhp 3S GTE(Even though its probably taking it to its limits) would still be a daily driver(kinda!!!):eyebrows:

Not a lot of people know this...but lol

The engine used in the GT series Supras - JGTC supra ( GT500) and the Toms etc etc , didnt actually use a 3sgte, they used a toyota racing engine called a 503e, the 3s-gte engine is designed and based on thie 503e but no parts are interchangable between the 2.

http://www.toysport.com/Technical%20Information/toyota_twin_cam_article.htm

great read on toyota engine development

503i sounds awesome, but I gather longetivity and reliability would be an issue...would a benchmark figure of 600bhp really be that expensive surely not as expensive as a rebuilt 2JZ GTE?

I realise 700bhp would be achievable without a rebuild on the 2JZ, but its more for the response and weight that the 3S GTE sounds more appealling,

I was gonna post up on the gt4oc to find out the true potential of the 3S GTE...know of anyone with a reliable 600bhp +?

I was gonna post up on the gt4oc to find out the true potential of the 3S GTE...know of anyone with a reliable 600bhp +?

Fensport, and also Ian on gt4oc, other than that it drops to around 500bhp, most seem to be around 400-450 after a forged rebuild, apexi power fc, injectors, turbo, etc it can be done, but 600bhp is a different story, Fennies want 25k for their corolla:

This car has now been extensively modified to compete in both drag and track based events, it has been modified to accept all engine and 4 wheel drive transmision from the celica gt4.

The fuel system is upgraded with a modified fuel tank, and fuel rail with TTE 950cc fuel injectors, HKS fuel pressure regulator, -6 braided fuel lines and a modified 255L/HR fuel pump.

The turbocharger used is the Garrett GT35/42 Ball bearing unit, mounted on a HKS stainless steel tubular manifold, a HKS 50mm remote wastegate with 50mm screamer pipe. The exhaust system is handmade in house, using 90mm mandrel bent pipework from turbo to single back box with 90mm stainless tailpipe. Chrome heat shielding.

A Blitz LM Front mount "bar & plate" Intercooler, from the mitsubishi evo 6, is used with custom made stainless steel 70mm piping and Samco silicon hosing. The ERL water injection system is controlled by motec, and keeps the intake charge cool.

The cooling system is modified using a trd low temp thermostat and a high pressure cap. A GT4 ST185 radiator is used in conjunction with an alloy header tank and a swirl pot is used to seperate air and water.

Our Fensport Racing Triple plate clutch with lightweight steel flywheel, standard transmission from the celica GT4.

A MoTeC M4 Pro ECU is used to control the engine as well as Boost Control, Water injection, Full throttle gearchange, Launch control, Data logging and Wide band Lambda, all mapping is done by ourselves.The standard ecu has been retained to run all the normal functions such as dashboard etc.

The Front suspension is handbuilt using Koni adjustable shocks and GT4 front springs. Superflex bushes and a Trd strut brace. Whiteline adjustable camber bolts.

Rear suspension uses Koni adjustable shocks with Fensport Springs, TRD strutbrace. The chassis is modified to accept a MR2 Turbo anti-roll bar with poly bushes, and custom droplinks.

Front brakes are Hi - spec 6 Pot Calipers with massive 335 x 32mm front discs. Braided brake lines.

The rear brakes have been upgraded using the 20valve corolla disc conversion, 263mm diameter.

Interior - TRD Race seats (6.3kgs), Momo steering wheel, Blitz and Spa digital gauges, ERL digital display.

Also included -

All interior

3" stainless exhaust system (quieter for road and better ground clearance)

4 x Compomotive MO 5 spokes with road tyres

Spare bonnet,original mirrors, full size fuel tank, spare koni shocks front and rear with new front springs, low rear spoiler.

Please see fensport cars for results and more details.

Price as is - no engine £12,500

With 300+bhp standard engine fitted and mapped from £14,500

With 450+bhp forged piston engine fitted and mapped from £16,500

With 600bhp fully built engine fitted and mapped from £20,000

With 600bhp fully built engine fitted and mapped and straight cut dog transmision from £25,000

your forgetting that the 3sgte engine in RWD configuration is a totally different subject.

Ok build one of the strongest blocks you can (hks stroker kit to 2.2), then a custom drysump oil system, and engine still has to sit at 15 degrees, electric water pump, big cooling system, custom built intake manifold and dual rail fueling, full race head cams - full titanium components, custom bellhousing for choice of gearbox (proll getrag 6spd) complete custom clutch system (your limited to the size of the 3sgte flywheel as you cant go much bigger on that block) then you gotta remember this is a 4 banger so your choice of turbo will play a major part - the VE characteristics of the 3sgte wont let you run a t66 for example as you'll die of old age with lag..

honestly not even worth thinking about..

IMO (with personal experience of 3S-GTE's) the block just ain't up to it. Choose the 2JZ-GTE for reliability every time. You'll also get better response from the 3 litre with a moderately sized turbo for 700bhp compared with the lag monster you'd need on the 2 litre for 700bhp. Torque would be around 500lb/ft with that power figure on the 3S-GTE but around 650lb/ft with the 2JZ-GTE - torque is what really matters in this comparison, given that the 2JZ can also be revved higher than the 3S-GTE.

Cheers,

Brian.

IMO (with personal experience of 3S-GTE's) the block just ain't up to it. Choose the 2JZ-GTE for reliability every time. You'll also get better response from the 3 litre with a moderately sized turbo for 700bhp compared with the lag monster you'd need on the 2 litre for 700bhp. Torque would be around 500lb/ft with that power figure on the 3S-GTE but around 650lb/ft with the 2JZ-GTE - torque is what really matters in this comparison, given that the 2JZ can also be revved higher than the 3S-GTE.

Cheers,

Brian.

Isn't the rev3 the incarnation with the weakest block of the five? The rev4 has thicker cylinder walls iirc and the rev5 has a revised head I think.

To get to a reliable 700bhp from the 3SGTE it's probably going to cost you £13k in parts alone, you'll need a lagtastic dustbin sized turbo and a much higher rev limit (iirc Top Secret's revs to 10k).

Top secret used a rev 5 on thier Gold car which rev's to 8500 @ 750ps but they put about 3 times your figure into the engine and drive train. higher rev line is due to the 2.2 stroker kit

http://www.topsecretjpn.com/wbsupra3.jpg

OP SECRET GT-300 Supra

engine - 3S-GTE DOHC 16v 2.2L 4 cyl

crankshaft - Garage Fukui 2.2L stroker crank and con rods

pistons - HKS Forged

cams - HKS 272º with HKS adjustable cam gears

turbocharger - TRUST T-88 34D

wastegate - TRUST TYPE-R

intercooler - TRUST 3 layer 600mm core tube and fin design

inlet manifold - Custom TOP SECRET

filter - TRUST Airinx foam filter

ecu - HKS FCON-V PRO