The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MOT questions

SuperSupra

Two questions:-

1 - I currently have no rear fog light on my car, and last year the MOT place were very kind and let me off without one, but I'm not so confident this year, as he told me to get one asap. :rolleyes: Firstly does anyone know any places anywhere near Chester (cos that's where I'll be living hopefully then) or Crewe that'll let me off? OR how easy is it to fit one - bearing mind I've got no idea where to start!!!

2 - As my car is de-catted, I'm assuming I will need to fit at least one of the cats temporarily for the MOT - how do I do this, and can I do it myself? If I can, what tools would I need? Which one do I need to fit?

Thanks in advance for the help!

As for the fog light, I'm pretty sure that it should have one fitted to pass the test they do on Jap imports. Can't remember what it's called but it ensures that imports are legal on UK raods.

As for the cats, you need to have at least one fitted to pass an MoT, I believe it doesn't matter which one, but you could find a freindly tester if you tried.

yeah foglight isnt too hard to wire just buy an ebay switch and get it wired up into your reverse light. you can then when mot time comes just stick red filter paper over the reverse light and there you go a fog light.

a cat is hard to do at home because youd need to get right underneath the middle of the car and i dont think itll be very safe on a jack. but otherwise you just need a socket wrench and a spanner to undo the bolts. easier one is the 2nd cat.

and i believe the emissions test is done on computer so theres no way to get out of it :taped:

Ok so using the reversing light as a fog light seems to be a good idea, but do I have to hack into wiring and stuff? Ideally I'd rather not do that, unless I have to. Need an idiot proof guide, and couldn't seem to find one on a search, only vague suggestions!

I was aware that one cat would probably have to be fitted, but there are certain people that have passed emissions tests (not through MOT testers that they know) without any cats so wondered if there were certain exhausts, or difference between TT's and N/A's that affected it. So where do I actually take it to get a cat fitted temporarily? Local exhaust place?

Guest Rickster

As a current M.O.T tester myself, I can tell you that with all the new computerisation that VOSA have brought in there is less now left to the testers discretion and proof must be kept in the way of printouts for all emission tests....any tester found flouting this will loose their lisense and probably their job, so it will be getting harder and harder to get through with decats fitted.....also VOSA now do roadside checks which can have implications if you get caught on the road with a decat....best option is get a sports cat fitted. If you are wiring a foglight, dont forget that there also has to be a telltale light fitted to illuminate when you switch it on :)

So where do I actually take it to get a cat fitted temporarily? Local exhaust place?

yeah pretty much any exhaust place can fit your cat on and decat back on. normally kwik fit etc wont do it except if your tight with the manager ;) just take it to an independant tyre/exhaust fitter or anyone else with a ramp really and they can do it for you. i got mine put on and taken off for £15 each time.

I just fitted my fog light tonight, left the invoice at my mates house so cant remember the company. Give them a call on 01934417222, next day delivery.

Does mean cutting into your bumper though, not a bad job too do though!

you dont need to cut into the bumper if your wiring it into your rear lights! no offence but i think that having an extra light in the bumper or hanging off the bottom is an eyesore on a supra.

Essentially the car needs to be a 94/95 M plate and you should be able to convince the tester you have a non-cat test. That is only if you have a car that isn't in the computer though.

Here's the form from the official MOT website, the tester should have a copy of this chart in his guidebook (or her guidebook wouldn't want to be sexist) so they can look it up and check what you say.

http://www.motuk.co.uk/exhaust_emmissions.htm

i took a copy last year for my de-cat FTO and they ran a non cat test on it. However, the Supra was officially sold in the UK so might not be as easy.

m.

Guest Rickster
Essentially the car needs to be a 94/95 M plate and you should be able to convince the tester you have a non-cat test. That is only if you have a car that isn't in the computer though.

Here's the form from the official MOT website, the tester should have a copy of this chart in his guidebook (or her guidebook wouldn't want to be sexist) so they can look it up and check what you say.

http://www.motuk.co.uk/exhaust_emmissions.htm

i took a copy last year for my de-cat FTO and they ran a non cat test on it. However, the Supra was officially sold in the UK so might not be as easy.

m.

quite right.....the point in question is finding an "exact match" for it.....uk cars will have problems , but imports may be possible......dont forget the new computerisation is now linked to the dvla, so any discrepancys will result in a letter from VOSA asking to bring the car in for inspection at a later date, with possible action taken against the tester/station that tested it... Also its worth bearing in mind, once the details have been entered by a testing station, your cars details are on the system for good....so if a tester states that it requires a cat test, it wont matter where you take it, the answer will always be the same...make sure you get this clear before the tester keys your details into the system as what the tester keys in will become the "default value" for future tests..