The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Brake upgrade or stay stock?

adman

I'm needing to replace my discs and pads in the next few weeks on my newly bought SZ-R, they are still Jap spec brakes.

Who is the best company to approach for discs and good pads and what sort of cost am I looking at? Also, what is the rough cost of upgrading to UK spec brakes and what are the limitations of doing it?

Cheers all.

UK spec deffo way to go, anyting more is a bit of a waste of money imho.

think it cost me around a grand for full set up, uk calipers front/back, disks, race pads etc. worth doing the lines while youre there.

...n make sure you get the shim pad things (fitting kit), did mine without n they make a right clunky racket!

i dont think youd need UK spec brakes on an n/a just get some fast road pads trd or chris wilson ones.

well I've got UK spec brakes on my N/A and I don't actually think they're 'that' good... god knows what Jspec feel like.... I'm thinking of upgrading mine..

i dont think youd need UK spec brakes on an n/a just get some fast road pads trd or chris wilson ones.

Its the stopping of the weight at high speed where they matter, doesnt make any difference if its NA or TT, you can still get up to high speeds where they make a big difference.

Its the stopping of the weight at high speed where they matter, doesnt make any difference if its NA or TT, you can still get up to high speeds where they make a big difference.

derrr... thought it sounded a bit odd... must be the end of the weekend.. I was thinking what the hell has that got to do with stopping... :D

Why? Never had a problem with mine on J-spec m/c.

You don't have a problem, but neither does it work as it ought to.;)

There is a specific ratio of master cylinder to caliper piston area.

A smaller cylinder will also work, but won't control the pistons properly.

Some weeks ago I was having a chat with Matt Harwood, and he is somewhat underwhelmed with UKSpec brakes - the man has done a fair few conversions, so he knows.

That is *not* my experience though, and the JSpec leftover parts might explain that discrepancy in performance.

Not sure about the ABS proportioning valves either.

...and don't get me started on aftermarket wheels (which could well dissipate the heat from the brake disks at different rates to the stock 17" - warped disks anyone?)

Albundy68 said:-

UK spec deffo way to go, anyting more is a bit of a waste of money imho.

think it cost me around a grand for full set up, uk calipers front/back, disks, race pads etc. worth doing the lines while youre there.

...n make sure you get the shim pad things (fitting kit), did mine without n they make a right clunky racket!

Interesting, my front brakes clunk when I go from forward into reverse, wonder if mine are missing the shim pad things...where does one buy such items?, Toyota?

Carl

I've decided to remain on the J-spec system but chnage the discs and pads...

any advice on the best disc/pad combo and where I can get them??

Cheers again guys, I getting abit fed up having to repack the parachute everytime I need to stop.... ;)